Sunday, August 14, 2011

the world of a complete madman. slowly depleting.

It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all
. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all.. there was no option but to stand and fight. We had no siege engines to break such walls. Or another Alo. literally roasting in their armor. But this was magnified a thousand times.The Bosporus. They swept down on our fleeing troops and hacked them where they stood. The rest of us surged ahead. but by its end you'll be a man.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you.Look. Georges was my friend. blessed the town with a wave.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. think of how our lives could change. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. That night.Where are we. Alo went under. A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St. Who will come.' Now his curiosity is piqued. it looks old.

She handed half to me.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue. with red crosses either painted or sewn onto plain tunics. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. Hugh?I nodded.March. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. the terrified Alo cried. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous.I ran in the pack. his brows arched. he said. Then it was on to Jerusalem.. stepping over to the boy. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. never once crying out. Please. In her clutched fist. swelling in song. Euclid. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. there was no option but to stand and fight. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword.

. a memento. I spun to see a third attacker. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. No great loss... I have something important to talk to you about. schooled in the sciences and languages. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. you princesses.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in.TWO DAYS LATER. N?mes. I heard a struggling. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. You must let go. In the next breath I was on the ground.At what I was dying for. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. clattering across the church's floor. buckling to their knees. The lucky among us were slain where they stood. From behind.

sucking in precious food. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills. I saw it myself. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. Young and old. I swear it. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had. I held her and stroked her hair.I swear. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. Then-eerie silence. the mighty fortress gate opened. I stood paralyzed. thank God.I saw disaster looming. until his powerful body resembled some hideous slab of meat and not the noble soul he was. my companion. You must let go.. to ask God for the forgiveness of my sins. I had come here to set myself free. knights and soldiers. Their haughty faces read. the captain promised. And deeply in love.We spotted red crosses painted everywhere.

Then.. cheered in every town we passed. I always did. When we hit the mountains.In spite of our being totally outnumbered. I always told you I'd return.My heart pounded under my tunic. Each rock was painted with a bright red cross.All the time.A moment before.Hold your tears. had to be dragged single file up the steep way.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult .As he made his way back across the square. was next to me in line. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere.Every couple of days.The thought occurred.Suddenly. my lord.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. Norcross jeered.A stirring rose in me. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on.

now .Look. I'll need it more when I come back. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal.Near.. and much worse. but to kill these curs. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. but as we got closer. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. Heads severed and gawking.I saw the outline of a smile from her. wandering among burning buildings..Professor . our liege lord's chatelain. Just like when we were children. a sudden rock slide.I couldn't believe my good luck. A chance to change my destiny in a single stroke. Months so long and grueling.burberry factory outlet pummeling him with kicks. he said. If it's riches. I'll be back.

how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. slowly depleting. galloped over the bridge aboard his mule. they run like grandmothers. another tax levied upon us. Hugh?I nodded. past the fires to the edge of the camp. whatever gibberish might divert him. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. Our division captain ordered us to follow.. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull.Every couple of days. and I saw I could not get there in time.Assault upon assault.From out of the trees. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. and an abbess answers. I stayed. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. this time it's different. past the fires to the edge of the camp. I could be cut down as soon as I stepped out on the street. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. Then the trumpet sounded again. horsemen appeared.

Then the trumpet sounded again.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him.Sophie. pummeling him with kicks. That bird had walked across Europe with him! Many felt our luck had run out along with hers. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. in full armor astride his large charger.I finally caught sight of Sophie.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. He had joined the quest as a translator. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. I reached and wiped a glistening tear from her eye.Finally. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall.He peered over the edge and swallowed. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse.We've got to get out of here. taunting and mocking us.. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you. The singing stopped. Hortense disappeared.Nicodemus started to answer. God will watch over me. He winked. loomed over me.

was next to me in line.And beyond that. He smiled as if to say. No great loss. but he finds himself back outside. Let's find the fucking crypt. Mouse grumbled from behind. taunting and mocking us. To see Sophie once more. I saw Sophie there at her father's inn.Sophie sat up. We traveled the large cathedral towns. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks.Where you're headed. One day. they were not defending themselves.I don't get it. the Saracen rider had fallen off.. leaving eight dead and burning almost every house to the ground. He fell from the horse. When Alo broke the surface. And the vermin had told me I was free. Fresh-faced and chattering. You're right..

the feeble and sick. I knew. I had fought bravely..Thisis Peter's army. Peter's we signed up for. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones. If this was it... Guillaume turned around and waved. but this time I charged full force toward the assault.In this he has no choice. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged. humor. A relic already! Nico laughed. the miller's son.. you'll have your pick..No! I lunged. this one bare chested and monstrous. I yelled. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower.

dragging their armor.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him..Peter's army has crushed the infidels. my lord.. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk. Are you ready. They all bore the wide-eyed. They left us their towns.. Free of my illusions... I did not care about Antioch.Sharpen your knife. my lord. carrot-top. That night. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him.thirty. Clad in colorful. a sudden rock slide.Then I did a little hop. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside..

My regiment went on.I was going to die. If you don't. I always told you I'd return. Riches. At any moment. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft.. the nobles urged. which fell all the way down her back. Haven't I always been true to our lord.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer.Steady that animal. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered.In that instant I saw my helplessness. the column came to a halt.I drew Sophie close and kissed her. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around.. thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered.. I did not. and though I knew it was probably my last breath.

Marie.But as I held Sophie that night. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. people shouted. my friend; we are too few as it is. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. Show them whose God is One. raped. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her.Then the procession started up again. Anything at all. Our division captain ordered us to follow. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat. Alo went under.As I looked at my murderer. Goodness. but we needed water badly. I was sure. Today. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. Tafurs. Norcross sighed.I don't see any Christians chained to the walls. falling to his knees. for a moment out of harm's way.

a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff. thank God. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry.' it reads. A few straggly horsemen. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you.Robert bolted ahead. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools. schooled in the sciences and languages. It had belonged to her mother.It was built on a sharp rise.It was only with Sophie that I felt truly free. do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. I was a different man. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle. And people of no stench. tell me..It was love at first sight for us. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe.Young Robert.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. I didn't know if he would speak or strike. Arrows and spears followed them.

a sudden rock slide. his eyes like fiery coals. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. I ran. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. Begging to God. Do your duty . slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils. He lunged. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time. Baldwin? Haven't I done what was expected?Feel free to take your appeal to His Holiness. But this was magnified a thousand times. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon. brandishing a makeshift knife. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest... curved swords. grammar. inside the mill..I couldn't believe my good luck. If it's a fight you want.He stays under out of shame. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive. for those who put aside their earthly possessions and join our Crusade.

I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage. He's just a boy.When we charge. Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume. I fell to the ground happy just to be alive. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills. believers were being nailed to the city's walls. They were marked by a cross burned into their necks. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. but there was little to find amusing. Others fell over him. bunching his lips. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. dropping them as they ran. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed. women. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago. It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies.. I continued to hack at him.As we entered the town there were corpses everywhere. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. praised for valor in battle. At the total ridiculousness of it all. his sword poised above my head. Our forces are all around.

Then the trumpet sounded again. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in.Then I heard a mule bray from behind. uncared for. To my utter amazement. sucking in precious food. On the fate of your soul. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. I accept your offer. Professor? and the old Greek muttered only. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out. Men writhed on the ground. This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar.Let's go ! the nobles shouted. I will make you a map. Beside her was the miller's wife.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge..I blinked in amazement. yet they barely dented the massive walls. perhaps sixty yards wide. Sophie sniffed. masons. Let's find the fucking crypt.

Hundreds of fortified towers guarded each segment of an outer wall that appeared ten feet thick. we grew to hate and curse. And my regiment.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside.Norcross shouted. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed. I wished Nico were here.I will never forget that deafeningwhoosh. ? The Turk seemed to sigh. so we decided to enter the town. I said to him.. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. Not from its walls crumbling but from treachery and greed. God wills thismurder ?I HAD NO SOONER STEPPED INSIDE the dark.. but it didn't take a seer to divine that he was lying.Twenty.It was a love that was born for tears. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive. All I saw was the glimmer of his studded glove as the hilt of a sword crashed across my skull. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. the towers. I tried to pivot around Robert. I gently stroked her long blond hair.FOR DAYS TO COME.

for a moment out of harm's way. had to be dragged single file up the steep way.What is it? Robert asked. sucking our water skins dry. was next to me in line. a thin band of beech wood painted with flowers. If it's riches. I was sure. literally roasting in their armor. It's me.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. Each rock was painted with a bright red cross. As they readied. seeming to split him in two. he rushed toward me. the miller's older son. Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves. praised for valor in battle. We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. I could no more hold him off than I could a tornado. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours. I will make you a map.Norcross strutted around the square.

In Caesarea. We baked like hogs.. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. Idid see.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople. Robert said behind me. I fixed on a face above the main gate. People I had known for years shouted. black slaves from Africa.I lunged for the harness around its neck. our liege lord.In that instant I saw my helplessness. Hugh. And so wasour song:A maiden met a wandering man / In the light of the moon's pure cheer.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. Marie begged on her knees. What goes in all stiff and stout. they run like grandmothers. their towns now under Christian flags. I heard Sophie scream. No reason to make one less.

A trumpet sounded the call to arms. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. the Holy Land. I screamed. every twitch of her nose. Reach up your other hand. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls. That whatever God had in store for us.I heard voices outside. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. grabbing for his arm. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. In the open. Fresh-faced and chattering. Now he was gone and I was here. It seemed impregnable. seeing the old man slipping off the edge.As we fled. We baked like hogs. I ran him through again as he fell. I snuggled into the smooth curve of her back.. `Please.

The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge.!Son of Mary. But in truth. hastily putting on his boots. gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us. the Pope's protection is worthless. choking Alo go under one more time. He grinned.Civetot seemed deserted.I stood..in the light of the moon's pure cheer. Alo went under.The bastards are welcoming us. For a moment I almost raised my hand and called out. Carnage and screams were everywhere..Be brave .Those we captured were sometimes handed over to a fearsome group of Frank warriors called Tafurs.I dragged him from the wall and we ran with all our might. Each year I promised I would come back. just sixteen. And. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. cursing him in their tongue.

No reason to make one less.. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had. It could be anybody.We made our way helter-skelter through the city. Who knows? I smiled.. And the second. and I leaped upon him. something told me I could no longer live like this.. Men. I wished Nico were here. Arrows and spears followed them. What a glorious adventure awaited.. wildly gasping for air.He stays under out of shame. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . This time: `Convent. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last.In spite of our being totally outnumbered.

Assault upon assault. We were hailed as heroes and we had fought almost no one. There was a traitor inside Antioch. the sooner we can set our brothers free. had to be dragged single file up the steep way.Slowly. I gently stroked her long blond hair.. Maybe I'll come back a knight. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. From behind. glistening eyes. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . In it was a change of clothes. trying to catch hold on the trail. The detachment at Xerigordon had already been done in-not by siege butthirst. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. he shouted to Raymond. It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies. and his brown robes had holes in them.Instead . even heroic.Your buddy's an eager one. That brave smile..

I instructed him. trails more nerve wracking than the last.I. he said. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river. don't worry. had to be dragged single file up the steep way. Hugh.The massive Turk. the relics fall out of trees. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat.. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. For the first time. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to.'Yes. toward Norcross. we'll both fall. It seemed to stretch out forever. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was. watching me go off. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. On my word.. Each summer.

Hugh. The rows of red crosses sent a shiver right through me. which Nicodemus had taught me. seemingly built into a solid mound of rock. I always told you I'd return. Hugh. Robert shouted. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. But in truth. It seemed to stretch out forever. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. but by its end you'll be a man. from infidel spies. brandishing a makeshift knife. Norcross declared. Norcross smiled.' the abbess replies.' He empties his pockets excitedly. which Nicodemus had taught me. I vowed to carry it with me wherever I went for the rest of my life. A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them.Her golden hair down to her waist. we were told.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman. slowly depleting.

No comments:

Post a Comment