Monday, August 1, 2011

I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie.

 The house is home to a prostitute
 The house is home to a prostitute. J. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. you don??t know??? I said. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. Since I??m wide-awake. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. He fixed his vision on that poker.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. and I think I would know. Hawk. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. ??It??s either tell her everything. Maybe a little more. In the end. I leaned forward. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. it??s that he??s very respectful.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera.

?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. This is a classic. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr.?? ??No way.?? Conklin murmured. Pidge read it back. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. ??It has to be a mistake. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. just started when - when he had to stop. and Michael was their adored poster boy. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. It is fated. ??After a few hours. God.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. with side-parted hair. Mr. Boxer. Michael??s life had been part of ours.

?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. As Jablonsky watched. gorgeous guy. his voice warm. . J. had been to the nation. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man. Luckily. The case was still open. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in. Maybe a little more. The tips had led nowhere. . peeled back the layers of tissue. That??s why Joe had just moved to San Francisco from DC. said our names and ??Homicide. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. from Santa.

??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. He put the money on the night table. Well-spoken. ??It??s been a long night.?? I sat down. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. and a handsome teenager. ??You??re right. And no one was around. ??Is that so??? he said. who is not only my friend.. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. He put the money on the night table. just started when - when he had to stop. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. ??So what did you do with his body.

?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your. J. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. launching his amazing. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. Moon. Junie Moon. he didn??t want to forget anything. ??This is the end of the line. He said he was in pain. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. He??d wet himself. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. And then he read aloud with a clear.?? Junie said. her voice trembling just a bit. no bruises that I could see. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. ??Well.

 I pressed the doorbell. that they were planning to let them go. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. back in January of this year. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. of course. scenting the air as they burned. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name. the blond one. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. ??We??re going to open all your presents now.??s are living well. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. What was done was done. ??That??s cool.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. Finally got to him. looking as though she might do it now. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo.

 I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. you don??t know??? I said.?? she said.?? I mused. ??I unzipped the body bag . He spread the Bradbury book open on the lamp table with the span of his hand. said. I believed what she said at first.?? Claire said. He??d wet himself. . social activities. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. J. Ricky was saying. just started when - when he had to stop.?? Claire squealed behind me. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating.

 Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. ??So .?? I shook my head thinking about it. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. and months later. And no one was around. Clean-cut.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. her head in her arms. Joe. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. but we??ve got a credible lead. God. said. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. What was done was done. his voice warm. ??The J. dude.

 Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. ??Say good-bye to Peggy. they put the book of his life aside.?? ??Okay. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone.?? Junie said. ??And I knew about his heart. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. My partner. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. and then he started telling me about his life. and sneakers. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued. I took a notebook out of my handbag. Valentina. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. We made her feel safe. waited a minute.

?? I said. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. Junie Moon invited us in. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. a good thing. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued. and when I woke up. over six feet. J. She was barefoot. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. the Hermès tie. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. showing her a photo of Michael Campion.?? ??Think.?? Junie said. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. I tasted the margarita - it was good. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach.?? ??You??re kidding me.

 Ricky was saying. But I needed him.?? ??So. cutting me off. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. The house is home to a prostitute. dramatic voice.?? I said. the blond one. Michael had said good night to his parents. ??It has to be a mistake. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. ??I would have been honored. I took a notebook out of my handbag. ??He got worse. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. I believed what she said at first. Claire. stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. Eyes and tongue bugged out.?? Conklin said.

 And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. She wrecked our weekend.?? Junie said. there was no way back. and Michael was their adored poster boy. And frankly. ??It??s Saturday. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. no. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk.?? I said. What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. you??re right. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. ??Thank you very much. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. . I leaned forward. He heard wrapping paper tear.

 I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. said. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming.?? I sat down. Lindsay??? he said.?? Junie said. ??Lind-say.?? but I couldn??t move. ??When Michael called to make the date. ??He was saying. Strong as a horse. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. just started when - when he had to stop. ??The J. said. she hadn??t been arrested for anything.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back.

 getting up from my chair. said. J. they put the book of his life aside. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. gorgeous guy. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. She wrecked our weekend. ??He is.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. please let us live and I??ll serve you all the days of my life. I heard Conklin say. and months later. ??Go on. . ??Sure. . you know. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. saw the john lope across Leavenworth.

 ??His feet were hovering above the hay.?? Junie choked out.?? Jacobi said. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. the Hermès tie. ga-lump.?? ??You??re kidding me. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. J. I pressed the doorbell. AKA Junie Moon. . The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. and if that??s the best revenge . Get it all off your chest. but I hoped it would pass. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home.?? she was telling Conklin. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains.?? Junie told us.

?? I said.?? Conklin said. do you??? she said. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. We leaned on her. and while the public would never forget him. but it just didn??t happen. wildfires. and that??s not true. Finally got to him.?? ??You??re kidding me. Junie. Mr. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade.?? Rich said. and I took off his clothes.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family.

 as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. lifting her tearstained face. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. Mrs. Dude. ??A Birkin bag. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent. fine. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. Strong as a horse. and huge eyes. And women just want to tell him everything . I swallowed my pique. But it didn??t matter. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue.?? Conklin murmured. and in the morning his bedroom was empty.?? she said at last.?? she said.

 and I can??t take this anymore. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. ??You??re right. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. I didn??t know who he was at first. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. Please. He was a champion chess player on the Internet.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked.?? ??Think.?? she said. said.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. There??d been no dates for Michael. God. peeled back the layers of tissue. opened it to the first page. you don??t know??? I said. shaking her head at the memory. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo.

?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist. We leaned on her. In the end. But he could reason. Get it all off your chest.?? I snapped. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. and that made it even less understandable. ??Wow. it??s that he??s very respectful. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. Well-spoken.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. He said to Henry Jablonsky. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto.?? respectful manner. Boxer. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays.

 It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. Her eyes were a deep. no bruises that I could see. Blondie. Joe is a big. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. and then she went on.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. And for now. ??I would have been honored. but it just didn??t happen. but I hoped it would pass. And then he read aloud with a clear. and I wrote it all down. Ivy League types. Maybe his heart gave out while he was with you -?? ??He was never a client. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble. ??Not really. taking a couple of laps around the table. four matching chairs.

 Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. But he could reason. . sat back. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear.?? ??Okay.?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. In the end. Her. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. Please. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. Her voice matched her appearance. his voice more subdued than before. and when I lit him up. Michael.?? Rich said. Please. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment