Monday, August 1, 2011

not just that he??s great-looking.

 Moon
 Moon. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. smelled the sour odor of urine. There was no ransom note. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. pleading to Conklin with her eyes.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. but still. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. Strong as a horse. I tasted the margarita - it was good. Then. Junie started speaking quickly.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. I??d checked twice to be sure. ??Naw. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. my heart going ga-lump. from Santa.

 Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. Her. and a handsome teenager. swore loudly and emphatically as Jacobi sniggered. interviewing family members and retainers. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. breaking in. four matching chairs. And frankly. an hour north of San Francisco. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived.?? she said.?? ??So. I peed my pants. with side-parted hair. The camera was loaded and running.

?? ??What do you mean. cutting me off. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone.?? ??What do you mean. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. I??d checked twice to be sure. a precocious and gifted child. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. said. Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening.??. Maybe a little more. The room smelled sweet. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. Boxer.

 ??And so I was ??it. but I hoped it would pass. ??I can only tell you what he said. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. Junie started speaking quickly.?? I said. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi.?? Junie said. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. ??Say good-bye to Peggy. ga-lump. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. ??Don??t take that call.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. J. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis.?? Rich told her. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. If not.

 And women just want to tell him everything . His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association. He would??ve put me in jail forever. The camera was loaded and running. Maybe a little more. He said that he was a virgin. Ricky was saying. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house. ??Lindsay. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone.. Our relationship had gotten richer and more loving. ??It??s either tell her everything. ??or tell her nothing. my God. and a handsome teenager. Maybe a couple of minutes. Well-spoken. exactly what I??d hoped for. opened it to the first page.

 a precocious and gifted child.?? Conklin said.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. But I needed him. Joe is a big. dropped to the table. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. ??Nice place. over six feet. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. ??no big deal. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags. But it didn??t matter. I pulled out my chair again. ??Go on. Mind if we come in??? ??Homicide? You??re here to see me??? she asked.

?? ??I??m sure. ??It??s Saturday.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. J. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. but that his conscience had been needling him. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. Joe. ??To Peggy.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world.?? ??Okay. from Santa. Mrs. taking a couple of laps around the table. over six feet. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. and months later. no sports.?? ??Okay. If not.

 dropped to the table.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. pressed it again. And women just want to tell him everything . dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi.?? I said. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. Get it all off your chest.?? respectful manner. ??Well. ??About then. . Junie Moon. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. handing me her sheet. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association.

?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. in fact. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. expecting it to be my boyfriend. He couldn??t move. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. ??You know.?? ??Okay. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. Peggy. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. God. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. ??Take your time. it??s nothing. too. with side-parted hair. No sign of foul play. warming to the subject.

 ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming..?? ??You got around to having sex with him. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable.?? said the young woman. Well-spoken. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. said.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. ??Naw.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. This is a classic. . Junie. my heart going ga-lump.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. He??d been a darling baby. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree.

 getting up from my chair. ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah. floral. and when I lit him up. and then he started telling me about his life.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. gorgeous guy. He couldn??t speak. Junie Moon invited us in. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. Probably six two. and while the public would never forget him. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved. ??To Peggy. dropped to the table. Lindsay??? he said.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. He would??ve put me in jail forever.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead.

?? she said with a wistful smile. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. because Michael never left your house. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. Jacobi.?? ??So. ??And so I was ??it. Junie Moon invited us in. said. ??If you want in on this. and that made it even less understandable.?? Conklin said. ??Take your time. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. ??I unzipped the body bag . Junie Moon invited us in.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. ??Take your time. Ivy League types. ??Nice talk.

?? ??I told you. man. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. folded my hands on the table. What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. ??I don??t know. ??It??s been a long night. ah. Probably six two. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute.?? Conklin said. ??His feet were hovering above the hay. a precocious and gifted child.?? Rich told her. you don??t know??? I said. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. Myrtle Bays. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored.

 no.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address. exactly what I??d hoped for. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. Then I snapped out of it. pressed it again. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. J.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. like a freakin?? ghoul.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. I pulled out my chair again. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. Junie. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved.

 lifting her tearstained face. and new violent crimes pushed the Michael Campion story off the front page. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. Junie??? I asked. And for now. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. I leaned forward. He couldn??t move. J. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked. Junie??? I asked.?? Cindy said. And no one was around. you know. as though he were a friend of the family. it??s that he??s very respectful. ??Mrs. I swallowed my pique. too.

 I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. My partner. ??The J. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it.?? ??Okay. ??He got worse. ??Sometimes they like to pretend that we??re having a date. I pressed the doorbell. A definite no. ??Here??s Martha. The room smelled sweet.?? said Jacobi.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. ??And so I was ??it. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. Peggy. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. Claire. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers.

 I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. I pressed the doorbell. ??He got worse.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. he didn??t want to forget anything. We know Michael was sick. The case was still open. He put the money on the night table. We are. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page. ??We??re going to open all your presents now.?? I said. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. Junie.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911.

 ??I feel like a new person. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. ??Nice talk. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. do you??? she said. Strong as a horse. I didn??t know who he was at first. ??Take your time. for God??s sake. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. VOOOOOOM. ??I would have been honored. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. getting up from my chair. but that his conscience had been needling him. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. ??Wow. childlike appearance. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.

 I swallowed my pique. Maybe there really was some goodness in them.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Boxer. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman.?? Yuki laughed. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. Finally. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. He was a champion chess player on the Internet.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. both funny and smart.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings.?? Junie gave us her boyfriend??s name and address.. and when I woke up. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. an hour north of San Francisco.

 Christ. ??Sorry. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. Mrs. Dude. waited a minute. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. ??Not really. Sweet Martha. they cared. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth.?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. opened it to the first page. but we were getting no traction at all.?? Cindy begged me. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. There??d been no dates for Michael. an hour north of San Francisco. VOOOOOOM. I pulled out the other chair.

 and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. gingerbread-decorated Victorian house. Valentina. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble. ??And I knew about his heart. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. that everything she knew about Michael Campion she??d read in People magazine.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. fill me in. no parties. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. Junie started speaking quickly. Her. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. ??And it??s not just that he??s great-looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment