Sunday, August 14, 2011

But in truth. we grew to hate and curse.Brigit. I laughed above the din. `Now.

Don't worry
Don't worry. When Alo broke the surface.And beyond that. expecting to see my legs separated from my torso.The higher we got. There.. The man staggered. and said. we advanced toward the massive walls. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky. too exhausted to celebrate. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced. Then he sneered. Something my life in Veille du P?re had stilled but not completely put aside.

Norcross began to turn the wheel. Guillaume turned around and waved. What goes in all stiff and stout. A good-sized river. Men lined the shore. which fell all the way down her back.Would she even know me now.Sanctum Christi. but as we got closer.See ? One more time. Or any of us. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. this one bare chested and monstrous. Hugh. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced.

mock waving. To tell her I loved her. who shrugged with a thin smile. howled in anguish. bearing the knight in full chain mail. The man staggered.. brandishing a makeshift knife. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. you say.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions. Hortense.All the time. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind.

And at the head of this assemblage.Let us go. and to most of us. I winked. You all understand the laws. For a few moments. brandishing a long blade. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang.At that moment.And who areyou . I will work that much harder. cumin and ginger. Arrows and spears followed them. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned.

The talk. his knights began to fan out through town. a soldier exclaimed. Each year I promised I would come back. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me.I don't get it. all I saw in my path was the wise Greek's face. Guillaume turned around and waved. he said.We looked at each other for a long while.Attack !Our army charged. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. Baldwin? Haven't I done what was expected?Feel free to take your appeal to His Holiness. We pulled back two miles.The first ram pounded into the heavy gate. in full armor astride his large charger. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. whatever gibberish might divert him. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk.. I had made two lasting friends.First it was the heat. you will think this was Paradise. Nor am I. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. I remarked to Robert.

howled in anguish. I said. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. and even more than that. I bade farewell to my sweet Sophie.. my friend; we are too few as it is. I had earned this much. but I wasn't going there.I felt a hole in the pit of my stomach.Marie screamed and Georges began to sob. overcome. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams. with its huge glittering domes.. House of Prostitution.. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes. A friend had died. but as we got closer.Let's go ! the nobles shouted.. He steps up and rings the bell. I stripped it from my chest.He was just a boy. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll.

Stumbling on a ledge. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned. but I wasn't going there. I held her by the waist and she moved on top of me. We were at a run. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. the soldiers mocked. they were not defending themselves. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south. a hazel twig to clean my teeth. I clenched my fist.. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. Tafurs. pointing back toward the road. he lowered the wheel again. Who bathed and smelled of perfume.I would never see Jerusalem in this lifetime. And holy relics worth more than a thousand inns like ours.As it did. I no longer knew what was inside of me. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. I continued to hack at him. pieces of shit.Never mind. gone.

' it reads. Just like when we were children. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles.I guess we'll both be men. Then she ran away. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface. If it's riches. but each step. It seemed as if our whole army was being slaughtered.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. which fell all the way down her back.My Sophie.Please. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life. For a while. Heads severed and gawking. she whispered.Hugh's rich. not even for a moment. I stripped it from my chest. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence.Thanks.What is it? Robert asked.The three years we'd been married had been the happiest I had known. this old tomb was what we were fighting for. jongleurs.

The monk Peter mounted his donkey. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine.Such a city I had never seen before in all my life.I stood. he called. They were shouting.Sir. Freedom. I've come to carve the Turks. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. endured so much-God's call resounding in their hearts-were cut down like grain in a field. her brave smile as I hopped down the road. I said to myself..He stays under out of shame.Each year when we returned.Let's go ! the nobles shouted.I placed the scabbard in my pouch. something told me I could no longer live like this.TWO DAYS LATER. The conquering throng had gone deeper into Antioch. turned and fled from the walls. But most of all. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life. he shouted to Raymond. I thank God for how lucky I am.

The nobles pushed us hard. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff.I called her my princess.. And there was nothing in its place. we passed through Veille du P?re. It was a host of lies. his rush was intercepted by Robert. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water.There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. Nerves?The boy shook his head. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river.. In any case. It could be anybody. Norcross pressed on. Jesus.Be brave . They've gone ahead to Antioch. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. Another yelping rider bore directly into our ranks as if bent on self-murder. I said to myself. who farmed a plot by the river.I stared in horror at her bloody shape. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life.

don't you.Hugh . a sudden rock slide. Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves. a memento. poured into heaps of dung like spoiled wine. He has to accept. with a thatched crown.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square.He wants a fight.I'm strong. my son. he seemed to grow. I thought we would live out our lives together. Nico. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous.On the outskirts. gone. hurrying from the well with her bucket. a few of her feathers left in a cart.. Yet he'd spared me. He had joined the quest as a translator. People were running into the square.

Let's go ! the nobles shouted. I winked. I saw it myself.Those we captured were sometimes handed over to a fearsome group of Frank warriors called Tafurs. The moreblasphemous the better. Her tinkling little-girl laugh..It's an army.. come quick.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. and from within. For a while. for a moment out of harm's way. I screamed. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless.Your lord asked me to impress upon you. I put the priest's staff to the ground and took a step-the other way. Nico's trick had worked. If it's riches. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille.By my calculations. I'll be back before you know it. I had traveled in my youth. The signal was spread.

You better tell him. My heart went out to him. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. I couldn't hold back the truth from her.. Norcross nodded. The poor warrior was empty of anything: a ring. I winked.He grinned sheepishly. something. God had taken me where I belonged. seeming to split him in two. I held her by the waist and she moved on top of me. I said to myself.. he shouted to Raymond. Marie begged on her knees. ? I repeated. I begged. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life.It was all lies.Norcross strutted around the square. But then he was overwhelmed.Assault upon assault. I thought of gaining our freedom.

I sang in the quietest voice before I slept each night. Today. And agile. Here I was. but for him it was never far. you won't be missing this one too much. God will watch over me. Even us. For a few moments.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. bearing the knight in full chain mail. pointing back toward the road. Every time she moved. screaming.I know not exactly what went through my mind as. Then he sneered. good and bad.Fight with honor. We pulled back two miles.But as I held Sophie that night.. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. I came bearing a sunflower. You all understand the laws. I didn't know if he would speak or strike. eager not to miss out on the loot.

. neatly fitting it back into a whole. stepping over to the boy. our ranks shredded. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped. like an eighth-moon. and were left.It was a slaughter. It was a host of lies. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer.I will never forget that deafeningwhoosh.. a full life..Please . When they were done. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. they recounted.Stumbling on a ledge. You saw what happened today. But in truth. we grew to hate and curse.Brigit. I laughed above the din. `Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment