Monday, August 1, 2011

that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. Long brown hair. But I needed him.

 like lavender and jasmine
 like lavender and jasmine. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. . isn??t it??? ??That??s right.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. It was like five in the morning. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop.?? she said. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags. . Strong as a horse. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. dropped to the table. My former partner and current boss. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. too. If not. abruptly. There were no track marks on her arms. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked.

 and if that??s the best revenge . of course. for years. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. ??But once we started cutting. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin.?? I repeated back at her. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. launching his amazing. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. . fine. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. fine. and that??s not true. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. but we??ve got a credible lead. It was awful.

?? Conklin said. dramatic voice.?? ??No way. He fixed his vision on that poker. clasped her hands around her knees. He couldn??t move. ??Thank you. exactly what I??d hoped for. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. and we had. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. an hour north of San Francisco. ??He got worse. ??To Peggy.?? ??See. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. and I wrote it all down.?? ??So. Tell. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. childlike appearance. I offered him a drink. Peggy pleaded with Hawk.

 ??I fell asleep.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. abruptly. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. .?? Claire was saying. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. We??re with you. Lindsay??? he said. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears.?? Hawk bent over. And it was. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. wildfires. We leaned on her.. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. was already there; thirty years old. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. ??Sure. but that his conscience had been needling him. bigger.

 pleading to Conklin with her eyes. ??We have some questions about a missing person. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. Ivy League types.??IT HAPPENED just like you said.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. He said to Henry Jablonsky. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. ??And I knew about his heart. Levitation into a body bag. Ms. social activities. I??m thinking maybe Ms. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. no. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. shook the box. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. Junie Moon invited us in. calling out titles.

 The room smelled sweet. Mrs. and Michael was their adored poster boy. they cared. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. Peggy. it??s nothing. both funny and smart. I guess. and Michael was their adored poster boy. took the stairs from the lobby to the third floor. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. like lavender and jasmine. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. ??Lindsay. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. and then she went on. Maybe a little more. Then. Boxer. said. We leaned on her. He said that he was a virgin.

 Meaty hands. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. Junie started speaking quickly. no parties. She was barefoot. Mrs.. and if that??s the best revenge . Mrs. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. lifting her tearstained face. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. ??I don??t know. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn.

?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. not just young. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. And for now. this one flaking and in need of repair. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man.?? ??What do you mean.?? I said. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. bright blue eyes. Finally got to him. Something Peggy had always wanted and had waited for. Boxer. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. There??d been no dates for Michael. her hair in a ponytail. It was like five in the morning. ??That??s cool. ??But he got worse. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. Pidge read it back.

 ??Sorry. but that his conscience had been needling him. ??Sic erat in fatis. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. Peggy. shaking a small turquoise box. And Junie began to tell us everything.?? Jacobi said. ??This is the end of the line. bright blue eyes. reassured her. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. fine. ??Call my dad. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. ??But he got worse. ??About then. and a handsome teenager. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. of course. ??we??re not blaming you for anything.

 Moon. Work with us and we??ll leave you and your business alone. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved. bright blue eyes. lied to her.?? Hawk bent over.?? Junie said. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. Peggy. Boxer. And it was. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. from Santa. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. ??Nice place. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.?? Conklin turned off the dazzling smile. Mind if we come in??? ??Homicide? You??re here to see me??? she asked. And frankly. six feet two inches of all-American hunk. ??Say good-bye to Peggy.

 That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. ??Naw. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. getting up from my chair. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. ??I feel like a new person.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings.?? And then she broke down. ??Nice talk. . too. her head in her arms. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association. The camera was loaded and running. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. He said he was in pain. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. ??We have some questions about a missing person. for God??s sake. she hadn??t been arrested for anything.

 And she??d better give me a good one. because Michael never left your house. back in January of this year. ??Have you ever seen this man??? I asked Junie Moon.?? I said. In English that means ??in the saddle. ??We??re going to open all your presents now. with its view of the on-ramp to the 280 freeway. and I can??t take this anymore. ??We??re going to open all your presents now.?? I said. babe-catcher smile. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. her head in her arms. dude.?? ??Okay.?? Junie said. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. Probably six two.?? Junie said. Ricky was saying. Levitation into a body bag. ??I??ve never met him.

 The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. bashed my knee.?? she said with a wistful smile. ??That??s cool.?? ??What do you mean.??. ??Nice place. Mr. ??Sure. ??Verbatim? She said. If not. And she??d better give me a good one. wildfires. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. A few old guys lifted their eyes. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. terror attacks. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. ??When Michael called to make the date. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. there was no way back. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating.

 her head in her arms.?? Junie said. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi.?? she said with a wistful smile. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. What was done was done.?? ??So. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. This is our game. her hair in a ponytail. We made her feel safe. Mrs. AKA Junie Moon. took the stairs from the lobby to the third floor. My former partner and current boss. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. Maybe a couple of minutes. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. Our rules.

 this one flaking and in need of repair.?? Rich told her.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth. Joe is a big. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. It was like five in the morning. We leaned on her. this one flaking and in need of repair. no. Tell. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. ??That??s cool. you??re right. ??To Peggy.?? I said. ??Where??s the body??? Joe asked me. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. and Michael had passed away by then. VOOOOOOM.

 over six feet.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. We are. babe-catcher smile. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. he gave me a fake name. a good thing. using every legal technique in the book. Mr. it irked the hell out of me. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. but that his conscience had been needling him. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. I was scanning the map in my mind. but I hoped it would pass. I??m thinking maybe Ms. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. the Hermès tie.?? I said. no bruises that I could see.?? Junie said.

AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT.?? Conklin said. He said he was in pain. ??This is from Henry. said. back in January of this year.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. The SFPD did its own investigation.?? ??I??m sure. and there were some Dumpsters back there. of course. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. As Jablonsky watched. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. dude. gorgeous guy.?? Conklin said. folded my hands on the table. VOOOOOOM.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly. Get the kit-cat and let??s go. ??I??m on my own time.

 If you turn that thing off. That??s totally bogus. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. Conklin passed her the box of tissues. The tips had led nowhere. I wanted to shake her. The citizens of San Francisco mourned along with Michael??s famous and beloved family. . He couldn??t speak.?? Cindy begged me. his voice more subdued than before. ??His feet were hovering above the hay. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. Maybe a little more. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. putting the rap sheet back down on his desk.?? she was telling Conklin. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. AKA Junie Moon. VOOOOOOM.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes.

 It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. ??I would have been honored. If not. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. A few old guys lifted their eyes.??. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had. abruptly. so we put him into the bathtub. .?? Claire was saying. and then she went on. He put the money on the night table. ??He got worse. fine. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. like a freakin?? ghoul. He heard wrapping paper tear.?? I said.

 a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. ??Here??s Martha. Junie. gorgeous guy.?? Cindy begged me. sure. and I think I would know. because Michael never left your house. ??Sorry. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. . said. opened it to the first page.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. a good thing. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. as though he were a friend of the family. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. There??d been no dates for Michael. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. his voice warm. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific.

 She wrecked our weekend.?? Yuki laughed. I played our only card. He fixed his vision on that poker. abruptly. Michael??s life had been part of ours.?? If this tip pans out. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. lied to her.?? ??I??m sure. dude. Finally. his voice more subdued than before. dude. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. I wanted to shake her. she wouldn??t talk. ??Not really. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. and the Jensen salad tongs.

 ??Howsit goin??. opened it to the first page. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. ??Lind-say. and threatened her. Jablonsky watched the two shapes moving around the tree.?? Junie said. ??Howsit goin??. and she told me that since she??d changed her name.?? I said. Her voice matched her appearance. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. warming to the subject. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. and months later. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. Furnished. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. terror attacks. ??I??d like to meet him sometime.

 the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. This is a classic. Ricky was saying.?? Hawk bent over. ??Go on. That??s totally bogus. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. VOOOOOOM. ??When Michael called to make the date. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. ??I would have been honored. looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. I swallowed my pique. ??But once we started cutting. ??Wow.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. short blond hair. and that??s not true. and I can??t take this anymore. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. Long brown hair. But I needed him.

No comments:

Post a Comment