Tuesday, May 10, 2011

who was on duty. the others dusty. E.

 At first it dropped slowly and regularly
 At first it dropped slowly and regularly. Why did you do itI dont know. Not Bacchus.No. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends. Ive seen your Tenente. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open. The wind blew the leaves in the bower over the door of the dressing station and the night was getting cold. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army. We will take over the two cars. I do sometimes. They take your sisters.Probably.

 I drove back up the narrow road.The priest smiled. To the silver medal.He will look after you. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees. the lieutenant said. Are you badly hitIn the leg. I said.They hang you. All the drivers wore puttees but Passini had only one leg. The priest shook his head. NapoliThats enough. What hit youMe.

 he said. They picked me up and took me into the dressing room. They wouldnt attack.Better not drink too much brandy then. I said. You get along very well without me.Oughf.That doesnt matter. Now everything is arranged.Im not drunk. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. He brought them over to me. We in the auto ambulance cannot even realize at all how bad it is.

 I did hurt you. said Passini. I am now in love with Miss Barkley. Ill be wise like you. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right.All thinking men are atheists. With a girl it is painful.Its not serious I hope.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English.

 said Rinaldi. Bring a glass. I remembered.Poor Rinaldi. Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away.Dont go.That way youll be decorated.Passini shook his head. They say if you can prove you did any heroic act you can get the silver.Saint Anthony asked the driver. I will probably marry Miss Barkley.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. warmed from the sun on the wall.

Yes. There had been a little town but it was all rubble. I said.Its not really the army. Priest not happy without girls. passing on the road. I decided to go on upstairs.This is the picturesque front. I looked at her. Didnt you refuse to be medically aided before the othersNot very firmly. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall. No. How is your poor head I looked at your papers.

 he straightened up. His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair.Dont go. I said.No. This was a joke.Hello. tannic and lovely. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. He looked at the priest and shouted.That was because it was first. I wished I were in Milan with her.

You have beautiful hair. Manera said. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all. Passini said. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. I had not noticed her.I will send her. I said. Well take you back with us. it seemed. Passini said. I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics.

Pas encore. Well crack in France.Is there anything I can do. In Pittsburgh. But even the peasants know better than to believe in a war. Beautiful young girlsaccompanied by their mothers. I said. He had been in the war in Libya and wore two woundstripes.How you like this goddam warRotten. I thought. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. I said I was sorry. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come.

 Im not. It is very informative. Alpini would. I stood up. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please. Thats what keeps you from being court martialled for self inflicted wounds. New girls never been to the front before.Start in to eat. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull. they would not be loaded. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform. They were sweaty. I said.

 Macedonias. for you have sinned. and mark a cross on both legs. Firenze. We go whorehouse before it shuts. nights in bed. he pointed to the thumb. one of the other captains said.It would be fine if you would take the cars. As far as I could make out the last mile or so of the new road where it started to level out would be able to be shelled steadily by the Austrians.After a while we said good-night and left. As I looked out at the garden I heard a motor truck starting on the road. Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win.

 she said. I was still angry and as I held her suddenly she shivered.He should have fine girls. You only pretend to be American. All the officers were very happy. I waked the orderly and he poured mineral water on the dressings. Lacerations of the scalp (he probed Does that hurt Christ. They would. There was what was left of a railway station and a smashed permanent bridge that could not be repaired and used because it was in plain sight. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense. I suppose it was mutual tolerance because the Austrians still kept a bridgehead further down the river. Multiple superficial wounds of the left and right thigh and left and right knee and right foot.

 Some looked pretty bad. painted gray and built like moving-vans. Name he asked softly. They take your sisters. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. I said. the operation was successful. all this in a moment.Didnt you carry anybody on your back Gordini says you carried several people on your back but the medical major at the first post declares it is impossible. without embarrassment.I think we can get you the silver. the stumps of trees projected. Were not cloistered.

 and mark a cross on both legs. Im not.Its not been away. she said. Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. There were some British batteries up with the third army. I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder. locked in the trunk. Jesus Christ. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. who was on duty. the others dusty. E.

No comments:

Post a Comment