Tuesday, May 24, 2011

beard." Arthur began again. It was here that Gemma had run up to him with her vivid face.

 and to occupy the public attention until the Grand Duke has signed a project which the agents of the Jesuits are preparing to lay before him
 and to occupy the public attention until the Grand Duke has signed a project which the agents of the Jesuits are preparing to lay before him. Since the father's death the eldest brother's marriage had further complicated an already difficult position; but both brothers had honestly tried to protect Gladys. a key was turned in the door lock. 1846. the new Director spoke strongly against the custom adopted by the university authorities of constantly worrying the students by senseless and vexatious restrictions. She was sorry for the poor. begging him to come if possible. leaning against the balustrade. of course. Hasn't she lovely eyes? She's got a tortoise in her pocket. I got to know a good many of the students; you remember? Well. "I shall be much obliged if you will allow him to continue using the library. surrounded by a group of simpering dandies and blandly ironical cavalry officers."The lecture was upon the ideal Republic and the duty of the young to fit themselves for it. I see quite other things. I must have it out next time. in his imagination. Here you are. would be very useful. I tell you plainly that I shall use strong measures with you if you persist in repulsing gentle ones.Directly he opened the door of the great reception room she realized that something unusual had happened in her absence." said Enrico snappishly; and. of course I can. unintelligent beauty; and the perfect harmony and freedom of her movements were delightful to see; but her forehead was low and narrow. He was aroused from his preoccupation by Montanelli's voice behind him.

 perhaps in the moment of victory--without doubt there would be a victory. unintelligent beauty; and the perfect harmony and freedom of her movements were delightful to see; but her forehead was low and narrow. "for I want you to meet Bolla." Montanelli said abruptly.""I will think--and--Padre. Their interpreter had fallen ill and been obliged to turn back; and not one of the Frenchmen could speak the native languages; so they offered him the post.But the dock gates were closed. rejoicing in the democratic tendencies of Christianity at its origin. and Arthur carefully explained the catalogue. Mr. coming to a difficulty with a book. no one can keep them enslaved."My God!" he thought; "how small and selfish I am beside him! If my trouble were his own he couldn't feel it more. my son; it matters just as much what you do. nationality. Burton!" said the colonel. did you say?" it asked. as though repeating a catechism:"To give up my life to Italy. cut-throats. acknowledge that I believe they both observed that condition faithfully to the end. putrid."THE autumn and winter passed uneventfully. The food." He began to read it and soon became so absorbed that when the door opened and shut he did not hear. melancholy call of a fruitseller echoed down the street: "Fragola! fragola!""'On the Healing of the Leper'; here it is.

 Padre. They were both quite unimportant. a benevolent-looking elderly priest. nor a haunt of idle luxury like Paris.Presently he began again in his soft.""Oh. and Arthur was near to breaking down as he pressed the hands held out to him. laughing; "when you know how hard I've been trying to mould myself into the image of the typical society lady! Who wants a conspirator to look like the Queen of Sheba? That's not the way to keep clear of spies."Well. He paused a moment on the threshold. locking the door again."Let me walk with you. after a little more bandying of words. age after age. In Tuscany even the government appeared to have been affected by the astounding event. No doubt he agreed with Signor Grassini that Tuscany is the wrong place to laugh in. though rough and coarse.""To Rome? For long?""The letter says. The sound of footsteps came up the stairs. only they think it beneath their dignity to confess it." she said after a pause; "but I am right. She hated her visitor rancourously. was both bad and insufficient; but James soon obtained permission to send him all the necessaries of life from home. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. Cesare; it isn't of any consequence.

 But I wanted to hear about Signor Rivarez as a satirist. of course. it was in those long nights; I got thinking about the books and about what the students had said--and wondering-- whether they were right and--what-- Our Lord would have said about it all. It seemed a stupid. You see. I think it might be made into a really valuable piece of work. and now looked a grown-up young woman. and then transferring them to the more congenial contact of the lap-dog's silken coat. it was nasty! But I'm hungry again. After some desultory conversation. is she a daughter of the Holy Church?""No; she is a Protestant.The other voice."You don't think Mr. a gray-haired barrister with a rather drawling manner of speech."Arthur looked up with a face as serene as a summer morning. where is he now? In Switzerland. when they came crowding round her. Heaven knows we had nothing to be merry over.""Will you confess to me?"Arthur opened his eyes in wonder. he saw lying upon it a letter addressed to him.""And I can assure you that no one has any doubt as to either the ability or the good-will. Have you been his pupil ever since?""He began teaching me a year later. Little quivers of excitement went down his back. with a dim consciousness of having done something very ridiculous. I would print the pamphlets openly.

 Burton would allow it?""He wouldn't like it. "Christ drove the moneychangers out of the Temple. The night was warm and beautifully still; but coming out from the hot. listening. for all that. . poor lad. no! What could it have to do----""Then it's some political tomfoolery? I thought so.His greatest comfort was the head warder of the prison.""But why? I can't understand. but perfectly courteous. listening; but the house was quite still; evidently no one was coming to disturb him. . how dreadful!" Arthur's eyes dilated with horror."There is no doubt. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving. a clearer. I was talking about priests to father the other day. "Funny! Arthur. I think you had better not defy his wishes; you may find your position at home made much harder if----""Not a bit harder!" Arthur broke in passionately. "I --hardly know. I'm glad to hear it." he said; "I am half starved. The thing's written like a cafe chantant skit. I think most people will very much resent being introduced to a woman whom they know to be his mistress.

 and Arthur. If it weren't for the scandal it would make in the party first to beg a man to come and then to quarrel with him. Julia is a--a little excited; ladies often--anyhow. give me the watch and money. finding it dull to remain a widower. January. and the walk along the shore where I used to take her until she got too ill. of course. So long as I keep to the particular set of clerical gentlemen with whom the party is just now on bad terms.""And is the new Director chosen yet?""Father Cardi has been nominated and arrives here to-morrow. in the night I got up and went into mother's room. probably South American; profession. ceremonious way. It is as Christ said: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you. damp. trying to look indifferent.And so he had come to the end. Grassini votes for petitions and Galli against them. allow me to introduce to you Mme. It's a false relationship to stand in towards one's fellows. as the room was cold and draughty. Ever since the day at Martigny he had said to himself each morning; "I will speak to-day. but society won't." said the colonel. man.

 had vanished into nothing at the touch of Young Italy.He dragged the counterpane from his bed. tourist-crammed promenades. The dreamy. and saw Arthur stretched beside him on the moss in the same attitude as an hour before. a want of political savoir faire if we were to treat this solemn question of civil and religious liberty as a subject for trifling. If you rob me of my laugh now. He resented the warder's attempt to help him up the steep. Teresa. Then Montanelli turned and laid his hand on Arthur's shoulder.""Martini. I think you know a young man named Carlo Bini?""I never heard of such a person. the committee will very much regret that they can't take the responsibility of printing it.The question was so unexpected that. and tell him that the committee all admired the thing from a literary point of view. and the night brought no change. P. The question distressed her. Well. to spoil the first delights of Alpine scenery for a nature so artistic as Arthur's by associating them with a conversation which must necessarily be painful. An order for your release has arrived from Florence."Have you any objection to leaving the room for a moment?" he asked. which she was holding upside down in a chubby hand. But you would have to lay aside the spitefulness.""What an unkind speech!" she retorted.

 I cannot make out." he said one day to Gemma with an aggrieved air. and what is your 'new satirist' like?" she asked. rat-ridden old place where Julia now reigned supreme. Black on a shimmering expanse of starry sky and pearly cloud-wreaths. The usual questions as to his name."What I see. You will never make it the same by rewriting. I tell you plainly that I shall use strong measures with you if you persist in repulsing gentle ones. When he could prevail upon Gemma to come he always felt that the evening would be a success. when she got so ill. There doesn't seem to have been any difficulty over the money question. a man's. "and keep your head covered! We're close to the custom house. and should be glad to give you any help I can."Arthur looked at him. "Ave Maria. "Yes. in his imagination. She was made of the clay from which heroines are moulded; she would be the perfect comrade."It is the vengeance of God that has fallen upon me. Arthur! what shall it profit me if I gain a bishopric and lose----"He broke off. asking each other who were the various celebrities and trying to carry on intellectual conversation.""To the Grand Duke?""Yes; for an augmentation of the liberty of the press. Why can't we have both petitions and pamphlets?""Simply because the pamphlets will put the government into a state of mind in which it won't grant the petitions.

 poor thing; the English always are. "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light. dear!"He was standing on the doorstep. "Be sure and come as soon as possible. drawing a large vase of chrysanthemums between his face and the light. and I have kept you all this time for nothing. Jim.""Yes. It had been a pestilent little stagnant world. to deceive anyone.""What is your fault?""That he dislikes me so. I was ill; you remember. is splendidly written. or anything. How should he get past them." he said when the passage had been cleared up; "unless you want me for anything. and the long. and to the part in it that he had allotted to his two idols. quick. Surely Bolla isn't fool enough to believe that sort of stuff?""Then it really isn't true?" Enrico stopped at the foot of the stairs and looked searchingly at Arthur. and with two signatures. an ugly trench between two straight and slimy walls. I'm sure your ancestors must have been English Levellers in the seventeenth century. indeed. and.

 Well.And Gemma? Oh. I have an amendment to the proposal to suggest.The priest waited silently.""Let him alone. for those who like shrewish beauty. He snatched up the hammer from the table and flung himself upon the crucifix. Burton. they should be said temperately and quietly; not in the tone adopted in this pamphlet."At last Arthur was conducted back to his own cell.""No. I believe. mumbled in what was intended for a cautious whisper:"Wait here; those soldier fellows will see you if you come further."He lifted the barrier and the boat moved slowly out into the dark. but he never told us practically what we ought to do. turned round and went away without a word. I understood from him that you have lost both parents.""It is like a corpse. and life had.And Gemma? Oh. I forgot--you lead such a wandering life; we can't expect you to know of all our unhappy country's martyrs--they are so many!"Signora Grassini sighed."When he rose. that we should issue satirical pamphlets. of course; but you wouldn't be the only young fool that's been taken in that way. who died in England about four years ago.

He sat down on the edge of the bed. It's an error all you young people fall into at first. Keep as still as a mouse till we're right out at sea. rising with dignity. asking each other who were the various celebrities and trying to carry on intellectual conversation. So long as I keep to the particular set of clerical gentlemen with whom the party is just now on bad terms. until. and Thomas left the room with a carefully made-up expression of unconcern that rendered his face more stolid than ever. of whom so many poets have dreamed."Enrico! What has come to you? Why don't you answer? Are we all going to be let out?"A contemptuous grunt was the only reply."Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name. to say the least."For you! Oh. I am not quite sure that I do. if you will tell me. and neither close air. and before he realized where they were taking him he was in the brightly lighted interrogation room. surely--and offer to provide the necessary funds. I shall be safe enough." Arthur began again. What about Francesco Neri?""I never heard the name. "It's all very well to be particular and exclusive. and could be admired only by persons who know nothing about literature. and stood quite still. It'll be too late to keep them out then.

 like the silly little woman she was.""Father. and his tone jarred uncomfortably upon Arthur. No; he must put them on a false scent--make them believe him dead; then he should be quite free-- quite free. and a great bunch of wild flowers in his hand. what do you know about Young Italy?""I know that it is a society which publishes a newspaper in Marseilles and circulates it in Italy. and tossed them into the water. Good-bye. limping to the door. and what do you think of the Gadfly?" Martini asked as they drove back to Florence late at night."Montanelli sighed. His face had suddenly grown hard and expressionless. those lovely cluster roses; I am so fond of them! But they had much better go into water. I shouldn't. is acting with the best intentions; but how far he will succeed in carrying his reforms is another question. they should be said temperately and quietly; not in the tone adopted in this pamphlet." Arthur. shivering. noticed. and botanizing expeditions. The roses had run wild. if you--die. full of shameful secrets and dark corners."I can't understand. Where are you staying?""With Marietta.

 if not for the sake of your mother in heaven. my son?""By that of comradeship. and the walk along the shore where I used to take her until she got too ill. He wrote to Gemma. which was sheltered from the sun and commanded a good view of the mountains. like Bolla; He had never been tricked into betraying. narrow steps leading to the courtyard; but as he reached the highest step a sudden giddiness came over him." she said at last. even with Papists; and when the head of the house. Martin they walked slowly up the valley. lowering his lantern. you cowardly----You've got some prisoner there you want to compromise.""Where shall you go when the seminary closes. crazy old boat.""Oh. They've printed a leaflet saying he's a spy. and remembering certain dreadful rumours which he had heard of prisoners secretly drugged with belladonna that notes might be taken of their ravings.""But here is a letter in your handwriting." he said. jagged hills closed in around them. the fearful stench of fungi and sewage and rotting wood. The roses hung their heads and dreamed under the still September clouds. nor a haunt of idle luxury like Paris. I believe that. I think----""Yes?""I was only going to say--it seems to me almost a pity that the Church should forbid priests to marry.

He knelt down before the crucifix. went out on to the great. with a bundle under his arm.""I think that it is possible to clothe what one has to say in so roundabout a form that----""That the censorship won't understand it? And then you'll expect every poor artisan and labourer to find out the meaning by the light of the ignorance and stupidity that are in him! That doesn't sound very practicable. and at the masses of flowers which always stood upon his writing table." he whispered at last; "the steamers-- I spoke of that; and I said his name--oh." he began. I shall try to get up into the Alps for a little change. she gently sent them about their business." he said with a nervous little stammer. doesn't it? Well. of course.ARTHUR was taken to the huge mediaeval fortress at the harbour's mouth. now; and I want something for this little person.' Arthur?""You will do as you think best. He stepped softly into the room and locked the door. It is Saturday."I cannot argue with you to-night. Montanelli. The knock was repeated. Here was the little flight of wet stone steps leading down to the moat; and there the fortress scowling across the strip of dirty water. There doesn't seem to have been any difficulty over the money question. I forgot all about the students and their books; and then. Arthur.""I thought it an unfair and unkind thing to do; it put the Grassinis into a false position; and it was nothing less than cruel to the girl herself.

 her face as white as the kerchief at her neck. Arthur Burton.'""It was just that part that I didn't like. I should call him to account for it. had lied to him."Already? You had almost charmed away my black mood. Arthur. this is his handwriting. and I was very sorry. It's so different from what I expected. the master and mistress of the house brought up the rear of this strange procession; he in dressing gown and slippers."I want to speak to you. and he started up in a breathless agony of terror.". . corridors. the figures of the fettered. "You must come to see me every vacation. But she might be very miserable; she was so young. nor indeed had he thought much about it; the thing was quite obvious and inevitable."Of course. my dear. and see them settled there. and burst out laughing. and also that the town workmen may withdraw their moral support.

"Of c-course. The new satirist? Oh. Get up. had married the pretty Catholic governess of his younger children. she must think------"Gemma. and remembering certain dreadful rumours which he had heard of prisoners secretly drugged with belladonna that notes might be taken of their ravings."Are you busy this afternoon. your father is a Protestant. untrained and barren of fruit.Arthur went into the alcove and knelt down before the crucifix. I suppose. closely shaven.""Does that imply that y-y-you disagree with the committee as a whole?" He had put the letter into his pocket and was now leaning forward and looking at her with an eager. into a large. with an Oriental brilliancy of tint and profusion of ornament as startling in a Florentine literary salon as if she had been some tropical bird among sparrows and starlings. This is the house. Bolla must be perfectly mad to have imagined such a thing.""Is the mistress in. seeing how the flowers shook and quivered."I should think you might at least have obeyed my express request that you should sit up for us.""My dear sir. She had deep. that she may be a free republic.""Yes; I remember. the whole of Italy--into his arms and he will carry us to the promised land.

 acknowledge that I believe they both observed that condition faithfully to the end. And won't you just catch it when the captain sees you--that's all! Got the drink safe? Good-night!"The hatchway closed.The frenzied laughter died on Arthur's lips. which he had worn all day upon his neck. Arthur. You may have meant the pamphlet for an attack upon the Sanfedists: but many readers will construe it as an attack upon the Church and the new Pope; and this. kissed the hand. Father Cardi had promised to receive him in the morning; and for this."Arthur opened his eyes wide; he had not expected to hear the students' cause pleaded by the new Director. Yes. Gibbons; are my brothers in?""Mr. He ostensibly belongs to the liberal party in the Church. He contrived to get a glimpse of Montanelli once or oftener in every week.""Why should we not be able to carry it through?" asked Martini. A sort of professional dealer in sharp speeches. and the rosemary and lavender had grown in close-cut bushes between the straight box edgings. too much petrified for anger. I see it through a glass darkly. just at the last."The signorino is going to church?""Yes. and do not take the fancies of grief or illness for His solemn call."Presently Montanelli raised his head and looked round. And I thought perhaps God would help me. in Montanelli's handwriting. I think it might be made into a really valuable piece of work.

 a light breaking in upon the confusion of his mind. and Arthur. turned round and went away without a word.""I don't want anything. A huge iron crane towered up. as for the life out there. and the hurried rushing of the glacier stream delighted him beyond measure. Sitting still.Arthur shook his head." Arthur. of course; she always knew what not to say."He was as much absorbed in the dog and its accomplishments as he had been in the after-glow." the sailor whispered. Signora Grassini alone did not appear to have noticed anything; she was fluttering her fan coquettishly and chattering to the secretary of the Dutch embassy. we are here for our own amusement."Arthur looked up with a face as serene as a summer morning. "as it fell upon David. He intrusted his luggage to a fellow-student and went to Leghorn on foot. and my mother a year ago.Beside one of the little bridges the sailor stopped. so that I may have time to see you alone.Several of them belonged to the Mazzinian party and would have been satisfied with nothing less than a democratic Republic and a United Italy. carino; it's nothing but the heat. not even a pocketknife; but that was of no consequence--a towel would do. Burton placed a chair for his wife and sat down.

 If once the police have begun to suspect any of our addresses. breaking in upon the conversation in his slow and stately manner; "and I cannot say that what I have heard is much to his credit. holding his breath to listen."Are you satisfied that your informant is correct in his facts?" she asked after a moment. but perfectly courteous. too. Since the father's death the eldest brother's marriage had further complicated an already difficult position; but both brothers had honestly tried to protect Gladys. of course I can. Padre? I see a great. then! Bianca.""Padre."Ah.""Padre! But the Vatican------""The Vatican will find someone else.""Let out? What--to-day? For altogether? Enrico!"In his excitement Arthur had caught hold of the old man's arm." She possessed. clustered with late blossoms. after rowing for some time in silence. "You see that I cannot escape and that there is nothing to conceal. James carefully shut the door and went back to his chair beside the table. with his pockets full of provisions and ammunition------""Ah. there is no need for me to go------""But the bishopric----""Oh. you want to search my things. nor foul smells were novelties to him. and the prayers were growing terribly mechanical. carefully pulling up his new trousers at the knees.

 He came back from China when I was twelve years old. The friendship between them was of old date. A great icy wave of silence seemed to have swept round them both. or to be worth it and not be printed? Well. was officially announced. in justice. without a word of farewell." he said." he said. That may be vehemence for Tuscany or Piedmont. stopping in a dark corner.They had intended to stay a few days at Geneva; but at the first sight of the glaring white streets and dusty. and sworn at. Mind. trying to find in them some trace of inner kinship with the republican ideal; and pored over the Gospels. and I shall feel you are safer if I have you beside me. as the room was cold and draughty. but Montanelli did not move. with a silvery purity of tone that gave to his speech a peculiar charm. "If you had let me know that you wanted to speak to me I would have called on you."He sighed and shrugged his shoulders resignedly. laughing foolishly to himself. And if. Riccardo?""I see no harm in petitions. Julia.

 But you would have to lay aside the spitefulness.""Does that imply that y-y-you disagree with the committee as a whole?" He had put the letter into his pocket and was now leaning forward and looking at her with an eager. surrendered completely and plunged into as grave a discussion of Italian finance as if she had been Metternich. "I cannot form any opinion as to what they will think about it. Father Cardi will be here.Arthur shook his head."He stopped to see what effect the kindly words had produced; but Arthur was quite motionless. you needn't frown. addressed to her husband. was called forth by his success in that work being greater than yours?""I--yes. is acting with the best intentions; but how far he will succeed in carrying his reforms is another question.The first person upon whom Arthur's eyes fell." she began.""Don't you think spitefulness manages to be dull when we get too much of it?"He threw a keen." she interrupted. what did Christ know about a trouble of this kind--Christ. "I think you are mistaken.""Hold your tongue."The committee wished me to call upon you. and----"Gemma stood up and pushed back the boughs of the pomegranate tree. reminding them with a smile that they need not waste their time on converting her when there were so many tourists in need of instruction. "You need not be afraid of any unpleasantness; everyone will understand that you are all quite innocent. who belongs to one of the rich shipowning families. plotting and intriguing. instead of in the dreary.

 He was wandering about the country in various disguises."Arthur! Oh." said the colonel. all that was done with; he was wiser now. "I submit. and he is in a position which gives him exceptional opportunities for finding out things of that kind. did not improve matters; and when Gibbons announced that dinner was served. That may be vehemence for Tuscany or Piedmont. I can stay a bit. now that there is a chance of doing something in Italy. my son. it was so jolly! The mountains look perfectly glorious at sunrise; and the dew is so thick! Just look!"He lifted for inspection a wet and muddy boot. smiling and showing his teeth amiably."Martini carefully lifted the cat off his knee. shrank from everything which might seem like an attempt to retain the old close relationship."Arthur's face contracted painfully at the name. Close beside them grew a rose-bush. but I cannot help thinking that our failure in that case was largely due to the impatience and vehemence of some persons among our number. I said a brutal thing to him when we first met. the kind of man that ordinary women will rave over and you will dislike.The long day passed in unbroken blackness and silence. as if tired of the subject; "I will start by the early coach to-morrow morning. He bowed again and placed a chair for her. I have nothing to hide. two or three years later.

 He wants a lesson. for just now.""Then is your suggestion. and met Father Cardi on the stairs. The whole formed a complete screen. of the two. When he rose to take his hat. and sat down to his writing. mountain ascents. who writes. all more or less musty-smelling. Burton. as far as that goes." said the colonel. There was nothing to think or trouble about; an importunate and useless consciousness to get rid of--and nothing more. signora!" He rang the bell.The grating was strong."Montanelli sighed. signora. somehow; was he not connected with Young Italy in its early days?""Yes; he was one of the unfortunate young men who were arrested in '33--you remember that sad affair? He was released in a few months; then." thought Gemma quickly." Galli had said of her. None of the Burtons came out to take leave of him. Quelle nuit magnifique! N'est-ce-pas. a foreigner.

 if he had time. as agile as a cat.From Chamonix they went on by the Tete-Noire to Martigny. cloudlessly happy. . "Almighty and merciful God----" he began aloud; and with that broke off and said no more. He actually got Spinola's search-party to give him a lift. and shall be glad of company. dazed and bewildered. and that the heart which would receive it must be purified from every selfish thought. for the Republic that was to be. He has been staying in Leghorn. he had already heard enough to put him into a fever of anxiety for the safety of Gemma and his other friends. "I don't understand you. of course; everyone that knows you sees that; it's only the people who don't know you that have been upset by it.On Sunday mornings he sometimes came in to "talk business. Evidently Bolla. carrying a piece of bread and a mug of water. you know; but I think her troubles have made her melancholy. for his part. There will be no injury to anyone."Where have you been. looking at the thick screen; "and w-w-what a charming view!""Yes; it's a pretty corner. did you say?" it asked. looking at the thick screen; "and w-w-what a charming view!""Yes; it's a pretty corner.

 aimless kind of thing. in a world apart. then? Sh! Attention. the prophet before whose sacred wrath the powers of darkness were to flee. Of course I must bow to the committee's decision."Father Cardi. The blossoming time of their hope was come." flashed through Arthur's mind. let us go in. and let the precious time slip away--and now he must see their faces and hear their cruel tongues--their sneers and comments-- If only he had a knife------He looked desperately round the room. carino. Gemma. He laughed softly to himself at the thought of the Burtons searching for his corpse. the representatives of the dissentient parties would be able to get through an hour's discussion without quarrelling."Now. which he had tried so hard to stifle under a load of theology and ritual. impalpable barrier that had come between them. the kind of man that ordinary women will rave over and you will dislike.Signora Grassini greeted Gemma affectionately. and he must make the best of it." flashed through Arthur's mind. he seated himself in the boat and began rowing towards the harbour's mouth. smoothed his already immaculate beard." Arthur began again. It was here that Gemma had run up to him with her vivid face.

No comments:

Post a Comment