Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four.

No understand
No understand.Im going on.I know it is bad but we must finish it. the water blue like the sky. They are all without law to protect them. I said. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. It was half of the brigata Basilicata.Dont go.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen.Im perfectly all right. It tasted of rusty metal. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal.

 The Austrian trenches were above on the hillside only a few yards from the Italian lines. Stop it. so she loves Scotland better than England. said Manera. no.Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. she said. I said. Middle name First name Rank Where born What class What corps and so on. I myself felt as badly as he did and could not understand why I had not gone. Why dont you go to the hospitalThey wont let me. He bent over me. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already.

 biting his arm. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it.They may crack. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat. He makes big preparations. In the morning they came to each bed in turn. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not.There isnt any place.Ill just step out the door a minute. said the priest.Priest not with girls. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.

 she said. You take it. which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her.I have brought him in. go get a corkscrew. There were three others to locate. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman. he said. Could I join nowIm afraid not now. I said. darling.

War is not won by victory.Poor Rinaldi. English. I must write some letters. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. Could I join nowIm afraid not now. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above. The grappa was very strong. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme. and I knew I was dead and that it had all been a mistake to think you just died.Ill walk down with you. marched as though they were six months gone with child.

 As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. then finally it climbed quite fast. Not in this war. I watched the flashes on San Gabriele. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond. It does not go so well.I have to get washed and report. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. Mama mama mia. I said. There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year.How are the cars Manera asked.

 It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it. whether or not things were obtainable. How is your poor head I looked at your papers. He was goodlooking. He opened his trunk and took out a bottle.I have to go. Ill not learn it in two weeks. dropping them in a basin. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance. the others dusty. he said. He sat down beside me.

 It would have been much simpler. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been. I said.We must shut up. This was a strange and mysterious war zone but I supposed it was quite well run and grim compared to other wars with the Austrians. yes.She looked at me. thats nothing to how it will feel later. I said.This is the picturesque front. But Im back now. Something picturesque. I said.

 on purpose. I looked back and saw the three cars all climbing. I said in English.Shes Scotch.A shell fell close and they both dropped to the ground and dropped me. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. The lighter was shaped like a Fiat radiator. I wished we had a Napoleon. Gordini could not drive. youre very good.Come. It was hard and slippery.

 of course. And you never know if the girl will really like it. It isnt me that makes fun of him.I dont know. baby. far below. Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away. Another night when you feel stronger. Tell me. but with the difference between us. Goodby. Ill send your English girl.Not Strega.

 We in the auto ambulance cannot even realize at all how bad it is.They were all eating. I said. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. I shouted to the driver. the bare ground was covered. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs. There are a few real wounded.I sat on a chair and held my cap. A shell burst short near the river bank. That is true. You mustnt take everything so literally.Abbastanza bene.

 Alpini would. It was a one road show. crossed the pontoon bridge. Everything seemed in good condition. I think not. I am now in love with Miss Barkley. She was not in the garden and I had to wait in the office of the hospital until she came down.No. crossing out everything except. I leaned forward in the dark to kiss her and there was a sharp stinging flash. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers.Goodnight.

No. They were silent until I went out. I suppose it was mutual tolerance because the Austrians still kept a bridgehead further down the river. I decided to go on upstairs.Didnt you carry anybody on your back Gordini says you carried several people on your back but the medical major at the first post declares it is impossible. Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated.I sat on a chair and held my cap. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull. Gavuzzi has your legs.

 To the silver medal. said Manera. and the argument went on. You will be decorated.Its not been away. Alpini would. the King passing in his motor car. sometimes it backed on a turn. It was there that the offensive was to begin.He was gone. It might be good though. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four.

No comments:

Post a Comment