Tuesday, May 10, 2011

French were through.

 Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall
 Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall.Which side is it onHere.That priest. it was slow in the traffic. You better not go up there drunk. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris.Youre a nice boy. Get well soon. They all laughed. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them.Those that went out were not lined up when they took the tenth men. the others dusty.

 The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. I knew. I said. The priest shook his head and went on. Inside they were operating on all the tables.Splendid. he said.I did not say anything.I didnt carry anybody. Inside there was a light.You dont go at allI just go to see if there is anything new. Outside the window it was a lovely spring morning. as I went in.

 the priest said. His helmet was off and his forehead was bleeding below the hair line. the steel helmet on the same peg. Ireland of Wisconsin. they would not be loaded.Its not been away. Dio te salve.Hello. Go on tell me. It is the captain. The war was changed too. I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight. The little major looked at us furious.

 They come back for me. There were some British batteries up with the third army.Fine. you dont. I said in English. No.Priest wants us never to attack. Rocca ignored this and went on to explain the joke to me. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably. He looked at the priest and shouted. There was nothing to write about. Gordini could not drive. but it was not Catherine.

You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life.Had you been engaged longEight years. Not Bacchus. It would be the same when the offensive started. The offensive was going to start again I heard. but it was not successful. I saw arched stone bridges over the river where tracks turned off from the road and we passed stone farmhouses with pear trees candelabraed against their south walls and low stone walls in the fields. He stopped working and smiled. D. I said. Didnt you refuse to be medically aided before the othersNot very firmly.We looked at each other in the dark. Do you think I would do right to marry Miss Barkleyafter the war of courseAbsolutely.

 It is disgraceful. darling. Again the candlelight made its shadows on the wall.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little.Just as you like. They do it for nothing.Goodnight.He should go to Palermo. he said. the instruments shining in the light. We go whorehouse before it shuts.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat.

 Please.Lets drop the war. Your blood coagulates beautifully. then stood up. There are people who are afraid of their officers. Tenente.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance. pneumonia and hard and soft chancres. the water clear.Rinaldi looked at me blankly. There was a shadow from his hand on the wall. The carabinieri waved us to go on.

 Get some more of that Antitetanus.Were not far from the top. D. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. blunt-nosed ambulances. Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. I said. dry and white in the sun.Not Strega.Its way out. He was walking with a limp. ha! he said.

 you met British men and sometimes women. Messina.Thats what the priest said. was blonde and had a tawny skin and gray eyes. the fighting in the mountains beyond the town. I come to see you again soon. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron. tenente (first finger). Rinaldi shook his head. But Im back now. Tell me just exactly how it happened. No.

 Ive known him before.They are brave and have good discipline. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was.I wish you were back. I said that was a foul lie and. one of the other captains said.We think. Always with the girls. for your own good. Dont be a bloody hero. The river ran behind us and the town had been captured very handsomely but the mountains beyond it could not be taken and I was very glad the Austrians seemed to want to come back to the town some time. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors. He was dressed.

Kiss me. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table. helping ourselves to wine from the grasscovered gallon flask; it swung in a metal cradle and you pulled the neck of the flask down with the forefinger and the wine. We grew up together. and really you are just like me underneath.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. the trees around the square and the long avenue of trees that led to the square; these with there being girls in the town.Im all right.Why notThey dont trust us when theres nothing going on. Rinaldi was lying on his bed. Theres no place to drop it. He stopped and sat down beside the road.If you drop me again.

I walked behind her out into the garden.Goodnight. that the office opened on.That priest. They took off my trousers and the medical captain commenced dictating to the sergeant adjutant while he worked.Shes nice.Listen to him talk about the Abruzzi. stepping carefully among the wounded. It is with them the war is made. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight. At the first battle you all run. sitting on the small of my back.

Poor Rinaldi. chewed. I asked him if there was a big dugout where the drivers could stay and he sent a soldier to show me.They have big Skoda guns. I said. The major asked me to have a drink with him and two other officers. Not Bacchus. Did you have any beautiful adventuresYes. You like herNo. Some one came in and as the door opened I could see the snow falling. Somebody was singing. What is defeat You go home.I have to get washed and report.

 Something picturesque. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. They were bersaglieri. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small. it seemed. Aldo.Goodnight. I come to see you again soon. They wouldnt attack if they did. Incurred in the line of duty. Bring a glass. I handed the canteen back to Passini. What was the matter with this war Everybody said the French were through.

No comments:

Post a Comment