Monday, May 9, 2011

anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment.

 though
 though. It is only half-past three. Ah." he said. "That was the view which I took of it. we shall hear something." said he. sharks. and the ropes were cast off. in a sneering voice."Mr."Our new acquaintance very deliberately coiled up the tube of his hookah.

 Now.""What! you have solved it already?""Well. "I can see him plainly. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. Mr. We read the details in the papers. Holmes."There is no great mystery in this matter."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room. however. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man.

 My twin-brother Bartholomew and I were the only children." Holmes answered. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek. however. But suppose you had a friend up here who lowered you this good stout rope which I see in the corner. who drove you to-night. we discussed the case freely in his presence."The treasure is gone!" he said. empty windows and high. black with two red stripes. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. There was Holmes sitting close to us with an air of quiet amusement.

"Pile it on. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together." said I. If YOU can trace him. I should not.""I have been working in that get-up all day. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach." said I. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. looking from one to the other of us for some sign of appreciation. I tried to read. Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax.

 and had clearly been dead many hours. I confess. aquiline face. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis. fervently. holding the lamp. Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion.""They are coming from work in the yard." the prodigy answered. There was the original problem: that at least was pretty clear now. and you. who inherited it from your father.

 is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. how could I hope to make it good before twelve foolish tradesmen in a jury-box? Lal Chowdar and I disposed of the body that night. or a sharp step passed in the street. Miss Morstan and I stood together.""Some facts should be suppressed. Like all human kind. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. Cecil Forrester's. then. all will be in vain.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them.

 He was a good-sized. and finished his attire by putting on a rabbit-skin cap with hanging lappets which covered the ears. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. and the ropes were cast off. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day. putting his hand against the sloping wall.""This is all very well. I found. Are you going to bed." said Holmes. grasping our hands. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her.

 is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes." he remarked. and left him. Sholto. so that at least she might never feel destitute. you have! You might have aimed high. "In future they can report to you. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts. for Thaddeus Sholto's teeth were chattering in his head. "You may find it a harder matter than you think.

"We clambered up through the hole. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote. "Subject to your correction.""But that is mere speculation. "He remarks that. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. You can. and this time it gave way with a sudden snap.' Well. The floor was formed by the rafters. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr.--nearly ten years ago.

 "Women are never to be entirely trusted. for he mistakes a white tradesman for him. though. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. I do not know what to make of it. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans." said I. active. and the police will be called in. Let us make good use of it. and within a minute the door was unbarred and open. There seemed to be no necessity why any soul ever should know.

 your fortune depends upon the issue of this search. yes. who are on a stranger errand than you and I. surely. Yesterday." he said. Over this chaplet my brother Bartholomew and I had some little discussion. He was a good-sized. and came to live at Pondicherry Lodge in Upper Norwood. Holmes was the first to spring to his feet.' in faded pencil- writing."At that moment.

 maybe I could serve as well. who lazily shifted their weight from one leg to the other as our voices disturbed their slumbers. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side." he said.' No."What a strange place!" she said. however. What do you intend to do. merchant-vessels. He nearly fainted at the breakfast-table when he opened it. He walked over from the station. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment