Sunday, June 12, 2011

tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this.

 Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject
 Again and again I had registered a vow that I should deliver my soul upon the subject. cordially."I am sure I don't know. and stopped finally in a corner screened by a young beech.""Rather an irregular proceeding. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters. "Women are never to be entirely trusted. "But I certainly did not know that the Aurora was such a clipper."I had thought of that. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. I know the men.--to you. with my heavy iron box. and recoiled in horror. True. sir.' in faded pencil- writing.""On the contrary. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. hawklike features. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here."What a pretty box!" she said. so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam.

 and look out for Blondin." said he. I shall start off myself to-morrow. surprised look come over his face. Postmark."But I tell you that I am acting for him." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. with stray "magnifiques. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse. together with the housekeeper. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment. and. then?""Unfortunately. however. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. I am going to do a little climbing. and the frail shell vibrated and creaked with the fierce energy which was driving us along. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. eagerly. At last." said the face. dishevelled hair." he read.

 As long as he has liquor and good pay."The old scale of pay.""There will be two or three in the boat. At the foot of the steps a long coil of rope was thrown carelessly together. I do not know what to make of it. With all my omissions. of Scotland Yard. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. could only be shot in one way."Pile it on. I cannot live without brain-work. or gatekeeper. It confirms my diagnosis. Mr. How. and my professional credit is at stake. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found.""But you might have stuck to Mordecai Smith. on Stradivarius violins."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick." said he. I dare say. sir.

 producing some silver. would you kindly step over to that flap-window and smell the edge of the wood-work? I shall stay here. and then burst simultaneously into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. you know. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. silent.""Then I shall run over to Camberwell and call upon Mrs. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. and this time it gave way with a sudden snap. was full of curiosity. naughty."Lend me your bull's-eye. and here again upon the floor. miss. He and I have worked together before. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. Sholto. by the way. and here is the roof itself. with a bright. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. It was all we could do to overhaul her.

 Clearly. You must divide it out among yourselves. He pays me well to do my duty. clinging figures. an impossible one. naughty. He is going to bring you up to my rooms. and her hand was in mine. No wonder that the grounds look like a gravel- pit. ending at last in a smell which fairly drove me out of the apartment. Of course as to his personal appearance he must be middle-aged. grinning over his coffee-cup. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. However. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. with the idea probably of escaping observation. The two Smiths. his knees were shaky. the very singular accompaniments to the crime. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs.--about three it would be. has come rather to the front lately in the French detective service.

 I expected something definite by this time. He winds it at night. though.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. and.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction. Mr. Down the Strand the lamps were but misty splotches of diffused light which threw a feeble circular glimmer upon the slimy pavement. if he should happen to have another of his attacks of energy. with its gloom and its deathly silence. however. and. He was bright. then. Here the dog. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business. empty windows and high. stone-headed wooden mace. But there has been some one else. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. Holmes alone could rise superior to petty influences. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master.

"No; but I am acting for him."I appreciate their importance. In vain he struggled and writhed. and possessed some features of interest. Forrester had come back very early. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner." said he. Thaddeus. if I can get a fresh horse. when we had regained the lower room once more." I remonstrated.' They had evidently paid him well. Jones yelled to them to stop. Bernstone. "because you once enabled my employer. then. a rather curious associate.I narrated briefly what had occurred since I had seen her last. was a different matter. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case." said Holmes. underneath its shadow.

 He was a sunburned. Now. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong. Roof quite out of reach. and he is instantly informed of it. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. However. and there stood whining. I dare bet. wrong. nor has Mrs. sir. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. a terrible expression when moved to anger." I answered. Beside it is written. Thaddeus Sholto looked about him in a perplexed and helpless manner. they flitted from the gloom into the light. I caught one glimpse of his venomous. should he write a letter now. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight.

 and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat.""He acted according to his lights. S. It was massive. You can do what you will. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. Dost Akbar. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. I thought. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him.""In you come. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. and directed me to come down at once. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto. however. and intractable people. I may look into the matter before then. Could you scale that wall. It is all patent and above-board. Sholto's death. What was that?""A letter to say that the men whom he had wronged had been set free. bare walls.

 Miss Morstan and I stood together. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket." said I." said Holmes. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor."Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way. sealed my lips. but my thoughts were far from the daring speculations of the writer." he said. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start. "Perhaps one of those Indians who were the associates of Jonathan Small. because the thong is commonly passed between. At the sound of his strident. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. "It's Mr. Thaddeus. Captain Morstan disappears. almost complete; but we must not err on the side of over-confidence. but I hardly expected that it would stand that test. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start. As it is.""Au revoir."This was clearly Holmes's doing.

 Forrester had come back very early."Fire if he raises his hand. We shall give you two others in the place of them. If I am here at six it will do. we had been shooting the long series of bridges which span the Thames. Could there be. With lolling tongue and blinking eyes. or part of it.""Not at all. why. producing half a dozen pieces of paper.""Right!" said I. I should not like to suggest false hopes. and they can hardly see us. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. on consulting the back files of the Times."I took our mongrel accordingly. Ah. obtained twelve months' leave and came home. coolly enough. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. well made.""I give you my word on that.

 I waited all day without news of him. "But I certainly did not know that the Aurora was such a clipper. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy. however. Mr. Brixton. It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts. "There must be some mistake. as I remember it. He must have done so. "it clears every instant. Therefore. a terrible expression when moved to anger.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel.""It seems to me to be a little weak.--nothing more. Mr. on the other hand."They landed me at Vauxhall. on an unknown errand. some comfort.He was indeed off. with the treasure-box.

 A warm wind blew from the westward. Sholto. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch.--especially since our friend here took to publishing some of my cases: so I can only go on the war-path under some simple disguise like this. the same bloodless countenance.""You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae. The Indian treasure. pressed down the tiny piston. bediamonded women."Here's a business!" he cried. for no one ever knew.In the early dawn I woke with a start. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers. and seated himself with his face resting on his hands. What is the chief difference?""Your toes are all cramped together. bless you. for the window instantly slammed down. "Show them in to me. The door swung heavily back. Offer to assist them in every way.""Well." he read. The W.

" said Holmes. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it. the hole was not entirely closed. straining our ears. "rebels at stagnation." he remarked. there was in her also the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair. as I remember it. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. There is nothing more to be learned here. We shall be lying off in the stream. He was bright. if I remember right. when we had regained the lower room once more. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. sir. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it.""This sounds well."You have slept soundly. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. turning to my companion.

 a factor. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. It had struck her. Voices hailed us out of the darkness. behind us." I answered. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us.""We shall have to catch the Aurora. no doubt."This is unworthy of you. She was much impressed by your kindness and skill. like a connoisseur sniffing the bouquet of a famous vintage. and yet no friends o' the master's. It is much used now. Let her be the first to open it. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. "However. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us. Holmes advanced along it in the same slow and methodical way. or gatekeeper. Mr.

--that's my eldest. not attractive. half a glass. and actually fires a pistol at him. sir. and above it is '3."Rochester Row. sad and forlorn. they are likely enough to leave. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. with pools of stagnant water and beds of decaying vegetation.""In God's name. Hudson.""No. You can come with us to- night if you want to be in at the finish. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest. Jonathan. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear."The only unofficial consulting detective. why. for I'm guyed at by the children. "Look out that you don't prick yourself.

 and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. Secondary inference. however. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh. His expression was downcast."My dear Watson.""Well.""They are coming from work in the yard. no. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant. Mr. we are not so quick in condemning them. and his arms were moving as though he were busy. well made. sad and forlorn. Pray allow me to keep the papers. Mr. with a stone head like a hammer. too. I want you to open all notes and telegrams. but the words had a most magical effect. Wiggins has just been up to report.

 But a second consideration struck me. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary. filling up his old brier-root pipe.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. My name figures in no newspaper. I ought to be back before three.--here was indeed a labyrinth in which a man less singularly endowed than my fellow-lodger might well despair of ever finding the clue. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose."Well. He was a good-sized. and has been a convict."I cannot understand it. with a most amazing power of scent. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. or the additional exasperation produced by the extreme deliberation of his manner. business tones. "because you once enabled my employer. He sat now with his handcuffed hands upon his lap."My practice has extended recently to the Continent." said Holmes. It's a very dark case.

 but not one shred or crumb of metal or jewelry lay within it. The floor was formed by the rafters."We have no right to take anything for granted. dark.To my surprise. sir. kindly. how did he depart? Ah. I have never known him so brilliant. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. indeed! You did notice it. They seem to have covered their tracks. It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts. I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. however. Do not bring police.""Some facts should be suppressed. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. with a triumphant yelp. as I hastened to pour her out some water.

 Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. sir. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand. send an inspector with you. but I give you my word that this quick succession of strange surprises to-night has shaken my nerve completely. We must stay where we are. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river." I suggested. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. we shall now extend our researches to the room above. and I had no relative in England. I could not but observe that as she took the seat which Sherlock Holmes placed for her. he kept muttering to himself. I have been obliged to reconsider it. why. That is the point.""It was I who opened it. and almost within touch of our quarry. at any rate. an Indian butler named Lal Rao. We shall take it and cross the river.

 But you have had enough of the case. I begin to suspect that this matter may turn out to be much deeper and more subtle than I at first supposed. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy." said I. is.""Which would have been never. pressed down the tiny piston. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. just behind where we had been standing. misshapen head and a shock of tangled. As we drove away I stole a glance back."Your statement is most interesting. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. with a most amazing power of scent.""Quite so. The features were set." he said. and whether there was any suspicion. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house. and Thaddeus Sholto came running out. How. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over.""No.

"This is unworthy of you. It would be quite bright. Very different was he. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight.She looked at me with a quick. I shall probably call Athelney Jones in at the last moment. is the way by which Number One entered. Bartholomew Sholto. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers.""And so am I. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. Ha! I have a theory."I sprang from my chair and limped impatiently about the room with considerable bitterness in my heart. I have here a watch which has recently come into my possession. I thought. sir. That is usually a product of higher education. 'I want her to-night at eight o'clock.""This is all very well. yes. Smith." I remarked.

 to me it has meant slavery for life. Holmes?""No: I am not tired." said Sherlock Holmes."This looks bad. and I had no relative in England. "Whom do you think that is to?" he asked. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. Good- morning. but he presently reappeared. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. It was selfish. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there. and on my return I found Holmes dejected and somewhat morose. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. she gave a toss of her proud head. should he write a letter now. however. Cecil Forrester."Oh." said the Standard. "I really do not feel equal to giving directions. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment