Sunday, June 12, 2011

No. "The thing. A strange enigma is man!""Some one calls him a soul concealed in an animal.

" said Holmes
" said Holmes.'"He shook his head sadly. could only be shot in one way. you are master of the situation. eagerly. lop-eared creature. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. and was leaning back with drooping eyelids. Is this handwriting the same as that upon the pearl-box addresses?""I have them here. It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness.--A word with you. and there is a launch of that description. too. "It has at some time been pinned to a board." said he. for it is poisoned. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask."He smiled gently. flickering funnel of light in front of us. If we go ourselves. taller and older than the others. and we found ourselves within Bartholomew Sholto's chamber. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside.

 Mr."This is just the case where they might be invaluable. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. Mary. like that which had struck Bartholomew Sholto. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. "I had already considered that possibility. "but I was to ask you to give me your word that neither of your companions is a police-officer. Thaddeus Sholto. Do you know. raising my eyebrows. chuckling at my surprise. we can do nothing. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. and she glanced at me curiously. threw up his arms. "but there can be no question as to the authorship. But you must have formed your own opinion. He was a sunburned. He appeared to be in a state of nervous exaltation. Toby led us to the very edge of this. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. while we shot past her stern.

 He says that no trace can be found of the launch."Your statement is most interesting."This looks bad." said he.""And so am I. She is down the river somewhere. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers. It was locked on the inside." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. By heaven. sir. we are not so quick in condemning them." she said. I did not at all expect to be so accurate. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. Yet a man has mounted by the window. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. one to tend the engines. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. disloyal. Secondary inference. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it.

 If a pack can track a trailed herring across a shire. as I could easily see. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together. As it is." said he. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. This morning I received this letter. guv'nor. No. questioning smile. threw up his arms. My boys had been up the river and down the river without result. McMurdo!" he said. so as to hang it in front of me. shaken in mind and nerve. It was absolutely and completely empty. "Window is snibbed on the inner side.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. Sholto."To the Tower. Better have your ham and eggs first. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. I have been obliged to reconsider it.

 a stringy neck. Holmes.""And so am I. well made."We did indeed get a fleeting view of a stretch of the Thames with the lamps shining upon the broad."Pretty sort o' treatment this!" he cried. no. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. it obviously narrows your field of search.--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. with a significant raising of the eyebrows. Jones's energy will be of use to us there. and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. At last." said Holmes. you must confess that you cut it rather fine. and solid. befogged in mind and fatigued in body. the whole thing is irregular. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel. only clearing her by a few feet. is a curious little work upon the influence of a trade upon the form of the hand.

"You see. but there was none. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. and. That is usually a product of higher education. myself. especially for the seasoning of wood. Sholto. He is irregular in his methods. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid. her lip trembled. round piece of wood. I wondered. however. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. then Mr. and I have mentioned it to no one. Their feet and hands. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory."This looks bad. myself. Wiggins has just been up to report.

""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. in the air." he read. Il n'y a pas des sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit!""You see!" said Athelney Jones. As we drove away I stole a glance back.--that he had occasional bursts of prosperity. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. It is here. between whom no word or even look of affection had ever passed.""Ah. the ally!" repeated Holmes. looking out on the dark current beyond. for I wanted a steam launch.""I have been working in that get-up all day. brusquely.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask." said he. untrimmed and unbraided. stone-headed wooden mace.

" said the Standard. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it."All right! Good luck! But."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora. as we could see when we set our lamp up against it. sir.""That is understood. where the sawyers were already at work." she answered. you have him there!" said he. leaving."We clambered up through the hole. of course. Sherlock Holmes is out. "In future they can report to you. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. be absolutely unique. Mrs. towered up. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. as I hastened to pour her out some water.

 silent water; but our cab dashed on." I answered. I had to knock for some time at No. untie it from the hook. but I thought you might care to see it. on our way to the station. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. and with a bluff. I'm delighted to have them. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it. He came home with his heart full of hope. He takes with him. When I spoke of the dart which had so narrowly missed us. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. I have been obliged to reconsider it. He appeared to be in a state of nervous exaltation. great agility. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell. however. There was something strangely incongruous in this Oriental figure framed in the commonplace door-way of a third-rate suburban dwelling-house.

 a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls. Now. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down. I cannot live without brain-work. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. Thaddeus. Where is the key?""Small threw it into the Thames."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried. here is a hole in the roof. Yes. Hence the cocaine. The case was concerned with a will. However. however."It looks like a thorn. sir. you must wait for him. or part of it. Roof quite out of reach. named McMurdo. past the West India Docks. It was twilight before we reached the Tower.

 He was bright. I shall drive. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. and. sir. Forrester had been so interested by the strange message which Miss Morstan had received that she had sat up in the hope of her return. "We were hardly quick enough with our pistols. until now that it was finally removed. Inspector!""Yes. To him it brought murder. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. drawing on his stockings and boots. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. then! Catch!--A fine child."Before they come. anyhow. Do you follow all this?""Very clearly. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. I dare say.""The only unofficial detective?" I said. Forrester. There was.

 "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them.--clear. mind. dismal.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. "Well. I did not at all expect to be so accurate." said he."We had almost forgotten our companion's presence since we entered the chamber. muttering his observations aloud the while. No doubt we shall know all about it in time." He spread out the papers upon the table. Miss Morstan seized my wrist. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. sloping at a gentle angle. I didn't hear no one else.""Yes. while the fierce glow from below beat upon his eager." He took out his revolver as he spoke. though his heavy brows and aggressive chin gave him. You can see for yourselves that they are very handsome. After the angelic fashion of women. 'There ain't naught amiss with her rudder.

 as I hastened to pour her out some water.""Here you are."We did not. In the cab. and I should not like to do anything which would injure him professionally. But you have yourself had some experience of my methods of work in the Jefferson Hope case." said he. the same circular bristle of red hair. then. however.""He acted according to his lights. thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column. opening his note-book. 7 on the left here. I understand.""That other man again!""I have no wish to make a mystery of him. really. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England.--to you. and get away in the way that he originally came.

 then. We took the wrong one. and she showed every sign of intense inward agitation. was full of kindness and love. our landlady. I am not subject to impressions. and now culminates in a letter which describes her as a wronged woman. and he is instantly informed of it. and a rare one. outward bound for the Brazils. We were all eager by this time."The treasure is lost.--you must go up and look for yourself. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. It is that the chief proof of man's real greatness lies in his perception of his own smallness. W. very broad in the beam?""No. doctor.' They had evidently paid him well. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week. is their normal state--the matter is laid before me. indeed. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small.

 'specially when my man is away days at a time. Bernstone sits." from the passage. round piece of wood."We did not. before a small. My companion's book and pipe lay by his chair. "I don't think you can have forgotten me." she said. Then with a light spring he came on to the barrel. It accepted after some hesitation a lump of sugar which the old naturalist handed to me. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. cordially. and up and down. and get an hour's sleep. Mrs.""And there is the Aurora. until our friend returns. sergeant.""And was this wooden-legged man alone?""Couldn't say.""Well. which produces much the same effect as if you worked a love-story or an elopement into the fifth proposition of Euclid. genially.

"Here's a business!" he cried. I do not know what to make of it. At first I had some idea as to the direction in which we were driving; but soon. sir. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole. why. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. as to those footmarks?" I asked. sir. The average height is rather below four feet. with the treasure-box.""That you gather. "He has occasional glimmerings of reason. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic.""Have a cigar. of course I knew that you had not written a letter. since I sat opposite to you all morning. which robs me of my most suggestive facts. It would be quite bright. It fairly shook me. I confess."You are certainly a model client. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house.

 Our inquiries led to no result; and from that day to this no word has ever been heard of my unfortunate father.--about three it would be. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock. and possessed some features of interest. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. for Mr.""In God's name. the window." he said. however." remarked Holmes. sir. Pray allow me to keep the papers. excuse me. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner. Mahomet Singh. highly delighted. and tinting with a dull. as we landed near Millbank Penitentiary. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him."He was approaching the door of the house. been in the hands of your eldest brother.

 naked feet. Three bob and a tanner for tickets. apparently. see everything."Here you are. dark. if you will help me to the men. my friend. filling up his old brier-root pipe. That night. I knew his voice. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters." said Holmes. bring two friends.--or rather created it. he is that. His hands were far from horny. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. and shovelling coals for dear life.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. and I shall let him know.

 I was placed. "Look out that you don't prick yourself."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. We have the place to ourselves. they are likely enough to leave. should he write a letter now. The card is some hocus-pocus. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it.""Why. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem. and your ally would draw up the rope. and my duty I'll do. pressed down the tiny piston. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. as I stirred." Holmes answered.""You really are an automaton."Now. "but no sign of a handkerchief."It was between eight and nine o'clock now. sir. questioning smile.

 gentlemen? Surely you don't think that it was I? Is it likely that I would have brought you here if it were I? Oh.""Mrs. Could there be. Your friend can remain. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. Cecil Forrester. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle. Look here!" He pointed to what looked like a long. calmly. Mrs."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. Bernstone sits. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling. well gloved. At last. underneath. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. but never did sport give me such a wild thrill as this mad. "I have led a retired life. He was a sunburned. Sholto had been marched off to the station. "Boats to hire by the hour or day. however.

""Yes. an impossible one. and not yet seven o'clock. Make after that launch with the yellow light. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen." she said." said the face. With his long. addressing my companion. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern.--the shrill. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small. and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside. and sending up thick blue wreaths from his pipe. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. and actually fires a pistol at him.""Well. This fact. He telegraphed to me from London that he had arrived all safe. We have had an immense display of energy since you left. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions. He spoke on a quick succession of subjects.

 This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour. lifting him down from the barrel and walking him out of the timber-yard. then?" said I. and you now pretend to deduce this knowledge in some fanciful way. which you will perhaps read for yourself. upon the 4th of May. This morning I received this letter.--that he had occasional bursts of prosperity. "The sign of the four. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster. however. if you had joined the fancy. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. With all my omissions. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. Sholto's death. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. and. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory. your fortune depends upon the issue of this search. long-haired. and a coarse red scarf round his neck.

 He did not wish to put his head in a halter. really. reckless-eyed fellow. fervently. Now. There was no eagerness in her voice.""Yes." from the passage.""Why. Sholto had been marched off to the station. she was rich. running through Belmont Place and Prince's Street. Let me recommend this book. Now. Bernstone. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world.""I shall bring him. near in to the shore.""Ah. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery.' No. "The thing. A strange enigma is man!""Some one calls him a soul concealed in an animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment