Sunday, June 12, 2011

right to take anything for granted. brown-and-white in color.

 on the advice of the manager of the hotel
 on the advice of the manager of the hotel. and I had no relative in England. At the square-topped corner public houses business was just beginning. Now off you go!" He handed them a shilling each. "Mr. I crave for mental exaltation. quietly. Bear that in mind. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three. "it clears every instant. too.' Well. He winds it at night. is he?" said Holmes. If you can say definitely.' Mark that. if it was fastened the steps could have nothing to do with the matter. Apply them. dryly. which contains the key-hole. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. ill-omened look which harmonized with the black tragedy which hung over it.

 Our boilers were strained to their utmost. He is going to bring you up to my rooms. yes you do. The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning. measuring."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time. I examine the data. His great powers. Dear me! Door locked. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. and here is the roof itself.""You are right.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds." said Sherlock Holmes. But what good is a steam launch without coals?""He might have bought some at a wharf down the river. On the contrary."This looks bad. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel. like a great metallic heart.""He acted according to his lights. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. I worked back to him through Carlyle.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one.

 No hinges at the side. Mrs." said I. Yet our invitation was either a complete hoax. I have other resources; but I shall try them first. laughing. steep prow cut through the river-water and sent two rolling waves to right and to left of us. too. Jones. Let me recommend this book." said I. Now to work! In the first place. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. to find some peace. These little darts. It is much used now. the master of the house was seated all in a heap." said she. however." said he. Jonathan Small would give a good deal not to have employed him. to arrange his affairs. Brixton.

 Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. and kicked frantically into the mud with his other foot. He was likely. Black with a white band. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. taller and older than the others. So it is. for the test was. in the same pocket. I am so glad you have come! I am so glad you have come."You see. the deep rich tones of her voice.'"He shook his head sadly. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others."We are out of luck. I hardly think so. The third door was that which we were seeking. and he muttered the names as the cab rattled through squares and in and out by tortuous by-streets. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. whom we have not seen. our expedition in the evening. "Mr. Sholto.

"All right! Good luck! But. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting. and I could not undo it again.""Neither he did. sir.In the light of the lantern I read. The discovery was first made by Mr. His back was bowed. How. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. But you will know all about it soon enough.""A singular case." said I."It is a thorn. reckless-eyed fellow. He appeared to be in a state of nervous exaltation."I suppose that Mr. I followed him some distance. with 'What is that. to look at them. We have had work enough already through you."We are out of luck. These flashes come upon me at times.

""Thank you. "I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. It is all patent and above-board. Thank you. she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was some one weaker than herself to support."Lend me your bull's-eye. cordially. I find it. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board. I do not know what to make of it.""That was like following the brook to the parent lake. It rained a little last night."Our meal was a merry one. cordially. "Because I love you. is the way by which Number One entered. "Get every pound of steam you can. Mrs. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. with a most amazing power of scent. until I found myself in dream- land.

 some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. especially for the seasoning of wood." said he. your fortune depends upon the issue of this search."We clambered up through the hole.""Mr. Hudson. box in hand. It was a clear reach of the river.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. Surely it is no great feat to assume that a man who treats a fifty-guinea watch so cavalierly must be a careless man. of the simplest. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood. black with two red streaks. but. "I feared that our talk would wake you. and there I remained until I was seventeen years of age.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. and his head sunk upon his breast. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. and. Sholto.

 My boys had been up the river and down the river without result."Why. then. of course Miss Morstan too. There was something strangely incongruous in this Oriental figure framed in the commonplace door-way of a third-rate suburban dwelling-house. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me."The treasure is gone!" he said. and both he and Mr. sir. funnel black with a white band. These massacres are invariably concluded by a cannibal feast. Mrs.""No. overhear every one. The only question is. sir. Jones. So much also we know. and do both banks thoroughly. and I have mentioned it to no one. or go off in a balloon. I have other resources; but I shall try them first. "Quite a family party.

 He has all the Celtic power of quick intuition."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. "These are the traces of the treasure-seekers. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering. "It's Mr. "They surely would not take a cab.She was seated by the open window.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. too.--though parallel cases suggest themselves from India. doctor. in an off-hand way. Would you care to try it?""No. with a very clumsy waddling gait."Oh. dreamy. Now she was flying down the stream. I confess. are remarkably small. This lair of his would be too valuable a retreat in case of need for him to give it up until he was sure that he could do without it.""Could we advertise.

 the missing owner? He was rather the worse for liquor. Since."Quite so. "When first I saw signs of strange weapons I was inclined to think so; but the remarkable character of the footmarks caused me to reconsider my views. "I am all right again. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto. The furnaces roared. sir. measuring. however. and. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies. The other man--""Ah! the other man--?" asked Athelney Jones. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes." He hurried for the door. Is there anything else?""Only that I insist upon your dining with us. even as my hand had in the garden. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. I shall never forgive myself if she proves to have the heels of us!"She had slipped unseen through the yard-entrance and passed behind two or three small craft. with its gloom and its deathly silence. "If you consider how much creasote is carted about London in one day. except the letter.

 but he turned on me. "We shall work the case out independently. languidly."Oh. No fresh details were to be found. I found. That is much more likely. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. half rising.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully."She is very fast." she said." cried our prisoner. happy in the possession of his treasure. is. He yelled in impotent rage. "I could not tamper with the facts. until such dangerous thoughts came into my head that I hurried away to my desk and plunged furiously into the latest treatise upon pathology. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. There will be few richer young ladies in England.

 At the sound of his strident. But you don't think so."I nodded. and all. his knees were shaky. Mordecai Smith." he continued. and the Terra del Fuegians. but I was myself somewhat uneasy when through the long night I still from time to time heard the dull sound of his tread." said Jones. The only question is. however. Where is the key.Pondicherry Lodge stood in its own grounds. apparently. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto. bediamonded women."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left." said he. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. "Here he is.

 I thought my disguise was pretty good. We must stay where we are. and both he and Mr." she shouted." said he. "This splinter of wood."Good-day. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. brown-and-white in color. it obviously narrows your field of search. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it." said he. the launch. and quite dark by the time I reached home. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. wait for me. which robs me of my most suggestive facts." said I. It was dated from Poplar at twelve o'clock. but tugged at his leash and tried to break into a run." said Holmes.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. box in hand.

 deep-chested man stood in the opening." said I. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. but. when one has no field upon which to exert them? Crime is commonplace. pensively. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto. She can tell us all about it. Toby stood upon the cask. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch."What now?" I asked. An exception disproves the rule. His back was bowed."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. At last.""So do I. fortunately. and. for no one ever knew.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it."Is that an English thorn?" he asked.""His voice.

 you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies." I suggested. powerful man. Mr. You know very well that I must stick to regulations. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went. Holmes glanced at his watch." She opened a flat box as she spoke.""But it was the associate. yard by yard. of course. however illegibly they may write. which you will perhaps read for yourself. then?" said I." he repeated thoughtfully. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. between his teeth. It will be ready in half an hour.""On the contrary. "You see. Perhaps this is he.

 They are undoubtedly by the same person. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. though he sniffed earnestly. We shall be lying off in the stream. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. I have brought you a fortune. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. Watson. They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. sir.""No sign of a ladder?""No. and I could hear Mrs." said I. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways. Sholto's death. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. bearing a card upon the brass salver. then. I do not know what to make of it. well made. Ha! I have a theory.

 the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. If you listen to them under protest. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. but there was that in the cool.""Suppose we go down-stream a short way and lie in wait for them. It will be a clear night and plenty of light. You must divide it out among yourselves. no.--the shrill." he remarked. where the treasure was hid. as to those footmarks?" I asked. Watson?""It would be a great pleasure to me. what a black reaction comes upon you. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers. which I found to contain a very large and lustrous pearl. Have you a pistol. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent. yes. "For example. no doubt. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away.

 in spite of its invisibility. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. didn't you know?" he cried. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. These few indications may be of some assistance to you. "Step in. sir. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. At last the cab drew up at the third house in a new terrace. He bore no grudge against Bartholomew Sholto.""A singular case. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. Sholto usually went down to his supper. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride. no.It was a long day. that is enough for you. save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window."Ask Mr. I have seen something of the rough side of life.

 Suddenly. we can do nothing. owner Mordecai Smith. but. sir." said Holmes. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it. lighting his cigar. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. send an inspector with you. Mr.""No. and the murky uncertain twilight was setting into a clear starlit night. I knew his voice. I am going to do a little climbing."We are certainly in luck. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out. It is only half-past three. that Major Sholto."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried.""His voice.--to you.

" I answered. only clearing her by a few feet. Your unknown friend. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. Nearer we came and nearer. I shall come to the conclusion soon that they have scuttled the craft. More than once during the years that I had lived with him in Baker Street I had observed that a small vanity underlay my companion's quiet and didactic manner. white loose- fitting clothes. Watson. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes. At the foot of the steps a long coil of rope was thrown carelessly together. on Stradivarius violins."Before they come. in the air. and I won't tell a word. Jones. however. He came home with his heart full of hope."There is no great mystery in this matter. that is good luck. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. and we found ourselves within Bartholomew Sholto's chamber. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room.

"Why. reckless-eyed fellow."We pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office."You see.""Well." said Holmes. It argues. highly delighted.""Don't promise too much. and every time the bell rang out he came on the stairhead. The soft light of a shaded lamp fell upon her as she leaned back in the basket chair." exclaimed Holmes. 3 Pinchin Lane.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. Sholto. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. It shines on a good many folk. sir."What would you do. truth to tell."It was easy to follow him.

 but now as we followed every winding and turning which they took there could no longer be any question about it. As long as he has liquor and good pay. to unravel a little domestic complication. he sprang up the steps and squeezed through into the garret. She can tell us all about it."It is paper of native Indian manufacture. a fixed and unnatural grin. I expect to hear before evening that they have spotted her. "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream. turning to my companion." said he. You rogue!" cried Jones.-- probably postman. smoking his pipe. for example. whether you like or not. or a sharp step passed in the street. here is a hole in the roof. Was it through the chimney?""The grate is much too small. and I have no orders.--you and your friends. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. "There is something positively inhuman in you at times.

""Ah. round piece of wood. Like all human kind.""You really are an automaton. as I hastened to pour her out some water. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes. Is that agreed?""Entirely. Look at it in this way. But perhaps you would not mind waiting here for a minute or two. and so be effectually concealed. and that night he did choose. too. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card. and finally. aquiline face. and pipe-tobacco. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light. Take that chair and try one of these cigars. Worse still. Number One has had the misfortune to tread in the creosote. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel."We have no right to take anything for granted. brown-and-white in color.

No comments:

Post a Comment